Technical JTD starts but won't run

Currently reading:
Technical JTD starts but won't run

lancianut666

Hi all
my JTD is playing up..out in the awful weather on Sunday went through a couple of big puddles no problem got to the old mans place about 3 miles down the road pulled up on his drive and the car would not turn off.. a few turns of the key engine goes off so I restarted it seemed OK switched it off and it seemed OK...checked under the bonnet and there was some water on some of the fuses so i dryed them as best I could. came back 4 hrs later battery completely dead and feeling a bit warm...called RAC out jump started car but it will start up run for about a second or 2 then cuts out..any suggestions?
Clarkey

Take all the fuses out and check them..Mine looked fine when I pulled them out was rusty old things some legs snapped and just a general mess. Trip to Halford for 30 odd fuses and swapped.the lot. Got trade as know a lad so wasn't as bad

Hi
thanks guys for the advice. my problem is it has conked out on the old mans drive 80 miles away and it will be a pain stripping down the fuse box there. are new ones still available from FIAT? not sure about the crank sensor thing as it never really starts just fires up then dies on me. not the fuel supply or the battery. So it is either I can get a new fuse board or get a breakers yard one and clean it up
Clarkey

There are several different fuse boxes depending on the date of manufacture of the car, and whether it has air conditioning. Price for a new one is up to £180.

If you get one from a breakers, you need to get one with the same part number as the old one. The part number is printed on a paper label on the side of the fuse box.

It can be broken in.parts and restored quite easily, take pictures as you dismantle so you know how it goes.

disaster took the plunge and bought a new fuse board stuck it in and same result. car starts runs for about a second if you are quick on the throttle it will rev up but it then dies.. the oil pressure light goes out ok and there are no warnings on the dash.. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you checked your EGR? Unplug it and see if the engine starts and runs. My first thought was the immobilizer but you never know.

Hi
the RAC man says the fuel pressure regulator is fritzed I wasn't there so the JTD is in the local garage now

Hi
update. my old man found a hex bolt on his drive looks like a crankshaft pulley one to me. possible a coincidence it refused to run after the wet fusebox and was really something else?
Clarkey

update
the man at the garage tells me the fuel pressure sensor is burnt out because the ECU is fritzed , he is talking about sending the ECU away to be repaired sounds expensive to me...any comments
Clarkey

Hi
it fires up runs for a second or two then dies, the FIAT expert thinks the flood of the original gearbox fritzed the ECU and that then stuck a permanent earth down to the fuel pressure sensor which burnt out. so he won't put another sensor in till he sorts out the ECU

just had a thought would a jump start fritz the ECU? the first RAC man was just a recovery guy who tried to jumpstart the car...it was the second RAC man who did all the testing

just had a thought would a jump start fritz the ECU? the first RAC man was just a recovery guy who tried to jumpstart the car...it was the second RAC man who did all the testing

In my experience, no and having a bad alternator, I had to do if often. However depending on how it is done it could be fine or bad. A quote from the Stilo handbook.
"Under no circumstances
should a battery charger be
used to start the engine: it
could damage the electronic
systems and in particular the ignition
and injection control units."

I don't know what he used you would expect him to have some idea what to do. Yes the car has A/C but is not working

I don't know what he used you would expect him to have some idea what to do. Yes the car has A/C but is not working

Jump starting can damage ECUs etc, even if you are careful. It's unlikely under normal circumstances but does happen. Mis-connection is the obvious cause of issues, but breaking and re-making the connection can generate a surge or spike that may cause damage.
However I'd bet there is a clause in the conditons that says they are not responsible for damage caused. It would be very difficult to tell what caused the damage without spending a lot of time (= money)

Robert G8RPI.

Back