Technical Installing glass windows in Uk plate Ducato in Spain

Currently reading:
Technical Installing glass windows in Uk plate Ducato in Spain

Will667

Hello all

We’ve just bought a fiat Ducato l3 it’s in Spain where we are converting it to a camper.

Our friend who is installing windows from Spain said that we can’t use glass windows in the panel door or the side panel opposite. As it’s right hand drive and have a different view is this correct?

We plan to use glass in the rear door as I can’t see this being different in left hand and right hand drives?

Thanks

Will

If you’re putting glass into opposite sides then the views out would be the same lhd of rhd

If you’re putting glass into opposite sides then the views out would be the same lhd of rhd
Sorry how do you mean? If we buy the side window and just switch the sides of installation? Left to right?

Sorry how do you mean? If we buy the side window and just switch the sides of installation? Left to right?
I understood you’re post to mean installation to both sides, if your only putting it in one side, on rhd, it’s preferable to stick it in the opposite side so that you can use it to see wehn pulling out…no need to stick it in osr as you can just look over your shoulder

Be VERY carefull putting windows or altering the panels in the side of the van as you may get a nasty shock when it comes to ITV , as your tester will look at original spec of the van and say problem " is not original " and not factory fitted and tells you to take it away and put it back to how it was originally built . Dont ask how i know ...!!!

Make sure you can matriculate van before you spend any money as it usually impossible to get rhd commercials on to Spanish plates ...........!!

I have had 3 rhd ducatos over 13 years in Spain and have not got one of them matriculated ...and i have tried ..!!

I don't understand why you can't use a glass window in the side door
I have https://camperglass.co.uk/van-windows/boxer-relay-ducato-06-21/ducato-side-windows/ . Its been in a year and it all seems ok.
Just cut the hole out, (complete with bracing strut) with a jigsaw. Do it from inside then the double skin round the edge serves as a template. Doesn't have to be a neat cut as its covered over by a rubber seal.
Then stick the glass in. Cut the nozzle of the mastic tube so the mastic comes out in a triangular shape - its very thick and if you get a round bead coming out you might not be able to press the glass down fully. Tape the glass to stop it sliding down the door before the mastic sets. Best get 2 tubes of mastic as its a big window.
Suction cups to hold the glass like the professionals makes it easier, but you don't need them
I wouldn't want to be without my side window now. Its much better to be able to see through it when pulling out into traffic.
I got mine from Camper Glass - a mate got his from Vanpimps which looks just as good.
There are other suppliers but I don't know anything about them.

Last edited:
Back