Technical Halogen Bulb

Currently reading:
Technical Halogen Bulb

If you can find replacement lights, designed for halogen bulbs, that would be the ideal way to go.

Nigel, thank-you for that. Your logical observations align with the conclusion I have drawn from looking at a variety of different experiences when people have tried to enhance their lighting on classic cars.
I already have doubts about the efficiency of the modern replacement headlamp units that most of us have fitted. The prism contruction of the lenses is suspect and the silvering of the bowls is no better than the originals, which was not long-lived in any case.
It would be ideal if I could locate some much better units designed for halogens, but I doubt such a thing exists at the moment. So I am considering attaching rally-style, auxilliary headlamps during the winter months. As these have modern, computer-designed reflectors and are obviously fitted with halogens and operated by relay, direct from the battery, I am pretty sure I will be able to buzz along at top speed on unlit roads.
This modification won't be to many peoples' taste, nor would many people have the need for it. It might be more acceptable if I fitted authentic auxilliary lamps of the period, but then I would be likely to meet with the original problem. I have some compact, modern lamps in mind so maybe we will soon see how ugy I can make the front of a 500!:D

I recently laid my hand on a catalogue from a company called:- "Vehicle Wiring Products" In their 'headlamp bulb' section (page 62) they list 3 'P45t Asymetric' headlamp bulbs---45/40 + 100/80 + 60/65. As the normal headlamp bulb for the 500 is a 45/40, has anybody tried a 60/55? At only about £3.50 each, this might be a more sensible route than fitting halogen. Any thoughts?
confused.gif
smile.gif

I recently laid my hand on a catalogue from a company called:- "Vehicle Wiring Products" In their 'headlamp bulb' section (page 62) they list 3 'P45t Asymetric' headlamp bulbs---45/40 + 100/80 + 60/65. As the normal headlamp bulb for the 500 is a 45/40, has anybody tried a 60/55? At only about £3.50 each, this might be a more sensible route than fitting halogen. Any thoughts?
confused.gif
smile.gif

That sounds like a good idea; but just throwing the 100 watts at it might also turn me into one of those annoying, oncoming cars who I despise, that blind everything they face.....60 would be good though!
The other thing is that I can only find the one P45t bulb, which is a 6 volt version:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/832/p45t-asymmetric-bulb
Won't the "45" refer to the bulb wattage in any case?

...just noticed you have a paper copy....doh!!!!!

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Your are correct Peter----I totally goofed that one! I looked at the specs under the picture of the Asymetric bulb and assumed that ALL those specs were for Asymetrics. I must give my glasses a good talking too and look more carefully in the future.
worship.gif

I have 45/40 (Asymetric) bulbs in my 500, which is slightly lowered, and found that the 500 is so low when compared to most modern cars I can drive it on 'full-beam' and, so far, nobody has flashed me!
thumb.gif
smile.gif

The problem with upgrading the wattage, regardless of whether they are halogen or normal bulbs, is you will need to use relays or risk burning out the ignition switch. As I said in a previous post the voltage for the headlights is via the ignition switch. With normal 40/45W bulbs on main beam it draws 3.75 amps per headlight when on main beam, so 3.75 x 2 = 7.5 amps via the ignition switch. Using 55/60W increases that up to 10 amps via the ignition switch so an increase of 25%. That's quite an increase for that switch and will cook it with prolonged use.

If you look at that post I did on page 1 of this thread, when comparing the different light output on the garage doors neither of them have a particularly good defined light patterns in fact they are both poor. They are original RHD headlights from the factory. I would imagine the design brief 50 years ago was "stick a bulb behind a bit of glass and if some light comes out job done".

For the sort of roads you drive on Peter, you would be much better off sticking some modern spots/driving lights on, which is obviously what you are thinking?

I have some Hella Halogen ones on my Mini which are superb and the ones I bought came with the relays as well, so were a breeze to fit. It's like driving during the daytime when they are on with the main beam.

Oh I just found these pictures, they were taken the same day as the garage door picture. I will leave you to work out which is which?

Attachments

• IMG_4095.JPG
    IMG_4095.JPG
    641.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4096.JPG
    IMG_4096.JPG
    412.4 KB · Views: 19
Spot-on Tony (pun intended). Hella are the make that Axel Gerstl offer as "Tuning" parts.
Quite appropriate too, as the model available is called the Comet 500.
I'm going to go one better and get the FF500, which has plain glass but a clever focused reflector.
http://www.myhellalights.com/index....ps/500ff-series/hella-500ff-driving-lamp-kit/
Of all the cars I have seen here, the one I least expected ever to be emulating was Andrew's AndrewHarvey, thanks for the idea Andrew(y):
https://www.fiatforum.com/500-classic/421005-canterbury-695-a-17.html
But I hope to have a more streamlined front end than his "concept" car, so what is the diameter of the tubing for the "L" front bar? I think that is a tidy, sturdy, ready-made mounting point for rally lights.

Spot-on Tony (pun intended). Hella are the make that Axel Gerstl offer as "Tuning" parts.
Quite appropriate too, as the model available is called the Comet 500.
I'm going to go one better and get the FF500, which has plain glass but a clever focused reflector.
http://www.myhellalights.com/index....ps/500ff-series/hella-500ff-driving-lamp-kit/
Of all the cars I have seen here, the one I least expected ever to be emulating was Andrew's AndrewHarvey, thanks for the idea Andrew(y):
https://www.fiatforum.com/500-classic/421005-canterbury-695-a-17.html
But I hope to have a more streamlined front end than his "concept" car, so what is the diameter of the tubing for the "L" front bar? I think that is a tidy, sturdy, ready-made mounting point for rally lights.

That's what mine are Hella 500 with plain glass, mine have a chromed plastic back to them. Considering the car has Xenons on as well you can see how bright they are in the picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Once again I find myself being a late and distant echo of Andrew AndrewHarvey
I came across this exceptionally sensible and well-informed website which gives an authoritative and experienced answer on many electrical matters for which you sometimes find contradictory or imprecise answers. I have bookmarked it and won't be losing it.
They supply LED bulbs in the H4 format and also have convertor rims so that these could be used in our cars. All the legal implications are gone through in a commonsense way and once your decision to fit them is made, all you need is a very large wad of cash....loadsamoney!:D

Last edited:
I bought mine from Quicksilver lighting - i bought H4 adaptor rings (that i didn't use) and an LED kit.
I have clear lenses with a blue coloured centre disc.
The lights seem great to me (but i maybe on my own with that opinion)
Brighter the better for me!
My car runs very low - so i will only blind oncoming drivers when im airbourne!

Has anyone replaced the two headlights with double filament bulbs of 45 watts for main beam and 40 watts for dip with Halogen Bulbs as seen here:

http://webshop.fiat500126.com/katal...genlampe_fuer_bilux_as-scheinwerfer_paarweise

Just want to know if it is an easy pop in job or if I need to change any wiring or anything.

Thanks!

Hi, I have just replaced my bulbs with the same items you describe. My system already has relays to protect the old wiring anyway. One thing you should be careful of is the actual fit of the bulb into the headlight, the fitting was very shallow in my case and I had to be careful to place the bulb in correctly. There are two types of retainer clips - one simple pair of wire springs that hinge on one side and clip into the side of the lamp should be holding the bulb tight, bend the spring clip to achieve this. The second consists of two metal clips one each side that clip over the edge of the bulb, these can be a bad fit and must be bent to give a tight secure hold on the bulb. I have changed from a H4 55/60W bulb to D2 45/40W to save the battery as the draw on it is heavy and to protect the overall wiring and switches as mentioned above. As they say in Germany mehr Licht mehr Sicht (more light more safety).

Ian.

Ian.

Last edited:
So are the ones on the link for the AG website 45/40W halogen. I can't see any rating?

Unfortunately I can't justify spending £144 on a pair of LED headlamp bulbs, but it sounds like that would be the answer on several fronts:

1. The bulbs give out nearly three times as many lumens as normal halogen H4's.
2. They use 1.8 amps as opposed to nearly 5 amps with an H4.
3. The light is much higher in the spectrum and appears whiter.
4. Lower consumption means that it wouldn't be essential to use relays.
5. Lower consumption means that even if you only have the dynamo the charging-system will easily keep up with the electrical load.

As I won't be able to take this route at the moment I have found a mini-loom on eBay, which appears to have a relay each for low and main beam, adaptors to fit in the headlamp socket and then to connect to the bulb and a ready-wired cable to take the supply for the headlamps direct from the battery. I know this is an easy wiring job but it's nice to have it all covered in a factory made component.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-9003-C...8?hash=item4888e31f84:g:pYEAAOSwxN5WaA-K#rwid

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
As I won't be able to take this route at the moment I have found a mini-loom on eBay, which appears to have a relay each for low and main beam, adaptors to fit in the headlamp socket and then to connect to the bulb and a ready-wired cable to take the supply for the headlamps direct from the battery. I know this is an easy wiring job but it's nice to have it all covered in a factory made component.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-9003-C...8?hash=item4888e31f84:g:pYEAAOSwxN5WaA-K#rwid

That's a good find Peter and looks ideal for the job and what a price!!!!

So are the ones on the link for the AG website 45/40W halogen. I can't see any rating?

Hi, The actual lamps that AG supplied are marked as made by 'TRIFA GERMANY'
R2 HALOGEN 45/40W 12v P45t No 01620.(y)(y)(y)
I can confirm that they are bright for a low wattage lamp and are a direct swap in both LHD and RHD headlight assemblies.(y)(y)(y)

Ian.

Sometimes I shop in Halfords.:eek:
Although it's a very expensive shop, there are times when simpletons like me just need to be able to look at actual things and compare them with other actual things. So when I went to gather all the little electrical accessories I need to complete the installation of spotlights I had a look at the bulbs available.
They have halogen 60/55w headlamp bulbs with the correct fitting for the Fiat 500 headlamp. Probably a bit expensive but at less than a fiver each, I bought a pair. :)

Sometimes I shop in Halfords.:eek:
Although it's a very expensive shop, there are times when simpletons like me just need to be able to look at actual things and compare them with other actual things. So when I went to gather all the little electrical accessories I need to complete the installation of spotlights I had a look at the bulbs available.
They have halogen 60/55w headlamp bulbs with the correct fitting for the Fiat 500 headlamp. Probably a bit expensive but at less than a fiver each, I bought a pair. :)

So is the plan to use the ever so expensive loom and relays from eBay via HK to wire up the halogens? I ordered one to, as it looks like the ideal solution, so long as it doesn't spontaneously combust!

I assume the mega spots came with relays etc.....

You will probably create your own Roswell incident in the Highlands once you get all the lights working. ?

Back