Technical confusion on LED headlights

Currently reading:
Technical confusion on LED headlights

renault

looking around it seems that there is some confusion about LED headlights. I am thinking of changing over to them primarily to reduce the contact wear on the control stalk.
However a few people report problems.
Does anyone here have a good solution ?

looking around it seems that there is some confusion about LED headlights. I am thinking of changing over to them primarily to reduce the contact wear on the control stalk.
However a few people report problems.
Does anyone here have a good solution ?
In the UK, I run LED headlight bulbs. Not sure what the law is in France, so you need to be aware there.

It's rare to use the headlights but for me, less current draw which must be a good thing on wiring, battery and they are a lot lot brighter than the original 43watt bulbs installed.

yes my concern is the headlight control on the stalk which is a bit iffy - so if I can reduce the current that is my aim. But what replacement bulbs did you use?

You must have a driver to run the headlights, if not already equipped with LEDs. Buy the best you can, drivers and bulbs…
It’s a falacy that they run cool, especially, with the cheap kits, they can get hot at the back or at the driver, enough to melt wiring.
Some of the cheap kits drivers use as much current as the bulbs, so you’re not saving anything
Make sure your headlamps are compatible, most for standard bulbs are not and you’ll dazzle at night and, in fog, ordinary dipped beam will scatter like full beam and all you’ll see is a curtain of fog

Yup…someone else posted that some time ago…the same advice applies, don’t buy cheap ****

yes my concern is the headlight control on the stalk which is a bit iffy - so if I can reduce the current that is my aim. But what replacement bulbs did you use?
Fit a relay between the stalk and the headlights, that way you only take a small current to switch the relay and the relay switches the larger current of the headlights.

pretty simple to do, most cars already have this arrangement.

Details here along with the amp draw.

R

Details here along with the amp draw.

R
I like the bit about not being able to guarantee their legality…it’s a bit like toiletry manufacturers claiming ‘not tested on animals’ yet their constituents are and have been and doesn’t preclude all the different trial ones they made before settling on the one they sold

Back