Technical groaning engine noise

Currently reading:
Technical groaning engine noise

zobo86

Hi, hope someone can help
I own a 1.4 grande punto which has now done around 60,000 miles. It has started to make a loud groaning type noise once i get up to around 60-70mph. It is intermittent and sounds different to the normal engine noise and is so loud i can hear it over radio etc. The sound seems to stop once i apply the brakes but then start again until i apply the brakes another time.
The noise seems to appear more on longer journeys.
Hope you can help me I want to make sure this noise doesnt get any worse and i can sort it soon.

Maybe a wheel bearing on the way out, rears are common but usually fixed for good once replaced, the whole hub has to be swapped.

Hi, hope someone can help
I own a 1.4 grande punto which has now done around 60,000 miles. It has started to make a loud groaning type noise once i get up to around 60-70mph. It is intermittent and sounds different to the normal engine noise and is so loud i can hear it over radio etc. The sound seems to stop once i apply the brakes but then start again until i apply the brakes another time.
The noise seems to appear more on longer journeys.
Hope you can help me I want to make sure this noise doesnt get any worse and i can sort it soon.

is it a humming noise? does it get louder as you speed go up?

Got the same started at roughly the same mileage now on 74K it's become louder & more of a whine I'd say. Also got a rattling noise coming from the right side of the engine under the timing chain cover (1.3 diesel) could be anything so waiting on a fix before spending dosh with Fiat

Yeh a humming noise is probably a better way to describe it. Louder as speeds up, seems to stop if gently appply brakes bt then restarts again as I speed up again.

Yeh a humming noise is probably a better way to describe it. Louder as speeds up, seems to stop if gently appply brakes bt then restarts again as I speed up again.
yeah may be wheel bearings then, i had both mine replaced at 18k :eek:

Back