Technical "Spring" noise while turning wheels.

Currently reading:
Technical "Spring" noise while turning wheels.

Mobi11

Hi,

For some time now, I can hear a "spring" noise while turning, and it seems to be coming from the driver side of the car. Coil spring looks okay from what I can tell.
Same with ball joint and drop link.

Could this can be the top suspension mount?

Also, when I was poking around, I've noticed that the drive shaft on this side has some play in/out. Is this normal??

Many thanks

Hi,

For some time now, I can hear a "spring" noise while turning, and it seems to be coming from the driver side of the car. Coil spring looks okay from what I can tell.
Same with ball joint and drop link.

Could this can be the top suspension mount?

Also, when I was poking around, I've noticed that the drive shaft on this side has some play in/out. Is this normal??

Many thanks

Hi, 🙂
yes the bearings at the top of the spring and damper are only lightly oiled,
inactivity, and damp climate will make them notchy, so as you turn.. the spring twists... then moves with a BOING

I've just bought a car that's doing the same.. 😔

Hi, 🙂
yes the bearings at the top of the spring and damper are only lightly oiled,
inactivity, and damp climate will make them notchy, so as you turn.. the spring twists... then moves with a BOING

I've just bought a car that's doing the same.. 😔

That's the exact sound this makes :D

I have had that problem and replaced the mount and bearing myself. For DIY you will need some specific tools like spring compressors. Problem solved.

I never fancied this tool, it's like whoever design it made it the way, that it tries to hurt you every time you use it 🤣🤣

But I will give it a go nevertheless. All the bolts are quite badly rusted, so I have sprayed them all today with WD40 and will continue doing this every day until the new top mount arrives and hopefully this will help.

I watched some videos that helped:

Also a nice tip for any Punto Grande owner : the area of the windshield wipers accumulates water and on both side there are rubber hoses that drain the water into the engine bay. It's a good time to clean those rubber drain hoses from leaf debris. My hoses where full and did not drain too good. The water can cause the top mount bearings to rust and malfunction. I've heard that these hoses once drained the water on to the alternator and ABS system and had to be reengineered.

Good luck. Please post your results.

The 3 x sections on here for the 199 punto body model have info too

I have repaired my Grande, 2012+
(and my pandas)

Lots of information here:

Last edited:
This will help with access too

I watched some videos that helped:

Also a nice tip for any Punto Grande owner : the area of the windshield wipers accumulates water and on both side there are rubber hoses that drain the water into the engine bay. It's a good time to clean those rubber drain hoses from leaf debris. My hoses where full and did not drain too good. The water can cause the top mount bearings to rust and malfunction. I've heard that these hoses once drained the water on to the alternator and ABS system and had to be reengineered.

Good luck. Please post your results.

Good tip (y)(y)(y)
Will let know how did it go. Job looks easy, but only worry about two things: rust and using spring compressors.
The 3 x sections on here for the 199 punto body model have info too

I have repaired my Grande, 2012+
(and my pandas)

Lots of information here:

It will definitely come in handy. Thanks (y)

Back