General Global Round Up!!!

Currently reading:
General Global Round Up!!!

Damian, Colchester, Essex
The wifes car (I am just the mechanic). 1966 F that we purchased from Nathan Robertson who runs fiat500classics.co.uk. Currently under a full resto which I hope to finish by the end of August. 650 engine and syncro box will be resprayed azzuro aqcuamarina (baby blue)

Wanganui, New Zealand
1966 500-F RHD.
Engine re-bored to 594cc. Mildly ground camshaft, 3.5L sump, DelOrto FZD 32/26 carb, twin exhaust. New Abarth speedo and steering wheel to go in.
Car still in a state of undress.

Tim

Ok I will have ago at adding the extra info for each person tomorrow and see if I can get it in a decent format. It will be quite interesting once it has all been compiled and a good reference point.

Again a good idea from Tim to add the car info and a bit of history.

Keep it coming.

1969 F, Right hand drive.
Purchased in 1986 for $400 as a non-drivable wreck.
Fairly basic resto back then and then used as a daily driver. (40 kms a day)
Off the road in Dec 99 when I got a company car.
Pretty comprehensive resto starting in mid 2010.

Non standard items
145 x 12 tyres
Carpet.
Inertia reel seat belts
Fiamm air horn
Bonnet fit badly in 86, fits badly now and will forever.

Always thinking about a 650 upgrade but keeping the crash box.

After almost 30 years of ownership I honestly don't think I will ever be able to sell it so you all have to put up with me for a while yet.

Joe R

Updated with car info keep it coming.

Australia
Chris aka Bambino, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
1967, 500F, RHD, Rosso Corsa.
Stripped to a shell, blasted, new panels and rust repairs then painted Rosso Corsa. Black vinyl upholstery with red piping.
695cc upgrade with larger inlet valves, ported head with DellOrto carby, raised compression ratio, sports camshaft, electronic ignition. Aluminium Abarth valve cover and sump. Components balanced.
Rebuilt 126 transaxle.
Front disc brakes and rear drums on 126 stub axles. 145/70 R12 radials on standard steel wheels.
Suspension lowered at the back and reverse eye spring at the front.
Rebuilt wiring loom and standard instruments (so far). Alternator.

Damon aka Damon500, Donvale, Victoria
1973, 500F, RHD
30,000mls purchased off original owner in Christchurch, NZ in 1991- as seen on cover of the 'Bambina' book.

1969, 500F, RHD
Purchased in 2004- 93,000mls with 650cc 126 Motor and transmission and Nanni 5 Speed conversion. My daily driver from 2004-14

1960 Fiat Giardiniera, RHD
Purchased in 2009- 650cc with 126 Gearbox and 5 speed conversion- finished restoration in Dec 2014 and current Daily driver now travelled 2500km

1960 and 1964 Fiat 500 Giardiniera restoration projects- waiting for elusive spare time!

Joe aka tjmra, Brisbane, Queensland
1969, 500F, RHD.
Non standard items
145 x 12 tyres
Carpet.
Inertia reel seat belts
Fiamm air horn

Nick aka 124spiderman, Sydney, NSW
Adam aka mizcca69, Adelaide, South Australia

Canada
Chris aka christopolous, Waterloo, Ontario

Germany
John aka Giardiniera1969, Wiesbaden

England
Tony aka vitesse, Westerham, Kent
1966, 500F, RHD, Blu Turchese
Purchased in 1992. Refurbished and resprayed in 2014.
It is nearly 100% original the only departures being the 123 ignition and Fiamm horn.
I do have a rebuilt 650cc engine and gearbox to go in the car, whether it stays in there or sold on is yet to be decided???

Sean aka Franko500, Herne Bay, Kent
Andrew aka AndrewHarvey, Canterbury, Kent

Damian aka Paolo66, Colchester, Essex
1966, 500F, RHD, azzuro aqcuamarina (baby blue)
The wifes car (I am just the mechanic). Purchased from Nathan Robertson who runs fiat500classics.co.uk. Currently under a full resto which I hope to finish by the end of August. 650 engine and syncro box.

Gareth aka ozza, Hampshire
Steve aka stevehg, Cambridge, Canbridgeshire

Gary aka Hugh Jarce, Barwell, Leicestershire
1972, 500L, RHD, Fire Starter Red
594CC, 126 synchro gearbox
Complete restoration to body Bare metal paint and complete new interior with red piped seats and wood rim steering wheel, wood knee pad
Engine and transmission change
All new under carriage, (suspension, brakes complete etc.).
Bare metal respray
New interior bespoke seats with red piping
Wood gear knob
Centre console with classic style stereo
Full carpet set with Fiat badged rugs
Rear shelf speaker panel with Fiat badging
Fiat Mille Miglia Alloys all round

Franco aka Little Frank, Warwick, Warwickshire
Dan aka thisisburdett, Britannia, Lancashire
Andy aka Dunnah01, Nantwich, Cheshire

Ireland
Darryl aka dk500, Blackrock, Dublin

New Zealand
Tim aka timgarman, Wanganui, North Island
1966, 500F, RHD.
Engine re-bored to 594cc. Mildly ground camshaft, 3.5L sump, DelOrto FZD 32/26 carb, twin exhaust. New Abarth speedo and steering wheel to go in.

Roger aka RogerNZ Auckland, North Island
Chris aka looigi, Christchurch, South Island
Bob aka nzbobc, Christchurch, South Island

James aka nzbambina, Wellington, North Island
1963, 500D, RHD.
My Dad bought it for my Mum to drive back in about 1970 and it's never left the family. Completely unmodified and it goes like a dream. I did a road trip in it over Christmas. I was going to do bits and pieces to it before setting out like putting in electronic ignition but my brother said, 'No, just drive it as it is. If it breaks down, it's all part of the adventure of having a Bambina.' So I did. When I set out I fully expected the car to expire in protest and it had travelled 10 kilometres (What do you mean, you want me to go further than 10 kilometres? I haven't done that since 1980!) but it singularly failed to break down. I drove it about 400 kilometres up steep winding hills and over rough corrugated bone-shaking metal roads and it never missed a beat. In fact, it just seemed to get better and better. I haven't had so much fun in years. This year I'm going to start doing it up.

Scotland
Peter aka fiat500, Nairn, Highlands

United States
Luxe aka Luxe (I couldn't find a name?), San Diego, California

Wales
Tom aka the hobbler, Saltney, Flintshire?

Last edited:
1971 500L - LHD imported to UK circa 2009 - Bought in 2012 - Resto started but lost garage so mothballed until last month - now back undergoing resto. Mechanicals all replaced/refurbished - 650cc 126 engine with synchro box, distrubutorless ignition, alternator.
Moccha with cream interior is current order from SWSBO.
Bodywork progressing well, minor welding complete now prepping for painting.
Custom wiring loom with push button start, remote alarm & central locking, probable DAB radio with SAT nav, 3rd brake light, HIDs

Andy;
I am only about 25 miles from you--any chance of my being allowed to come over to meet you and look at your 'wee beastie'?
worship.gif

Tom

Tony,

Here's our details:

Christchurch, NZ - New England,US ex-pat.

Like Damian, it's my partner's car, I'm just the mechanic. We use it all weekend long to run all our errands. A little more work on it and we'll use it as one of our daily drivers.

'72, 500F, It's been repainted at some point, "Appliance white" as several people have called the colour-it's very bright in the sunshine, RHD.

650cc motor and differential, 3.5l alloy sump, Hi-lift cam (good low end torque), Skimmed head, 123 ignition.

126 stub axles and brakes up front, 126 hubs and brakes on the back. 145/70R 12 tyres on steel rims.

126 seats, inertia reel seat belts, oil temp&pressure gauges, tach, carpet.

Last edited:
1971 Fiat 500L--purchased from Middle Barton Garage October 2012. It came with 650 engine and synchro box in it, along with 126 hubs and brakes both ends. Also included were a pair of bucket seats and a wood-rim steering wheel. MBG stored it for me over the winter 2012/2013 as I was away (racing a 51ft yacht across the Atlantic). Whilst they stored it, I had them fit Grp2 , bolt-on, wheel arch extensions. I have lowered it, fitted 13in wheels, fitted 500 flywheel, sports exhaust, 35/75/75/35 camshaft, skimmed and carefully flowed cylinder head, larger inlet valves and re-jetted carb. Over the winter 2013/2014 I helped with a 'down to metal' re-spray (Fiat 124 Burgundy) and had the interior trimmed out in white cloth. It goes well, and looks pretty good. Fair bit more to do yet, but as I am retired it has to be as funds allow--all being done on a budget!
smile.gif
thumb.gif

Adam South Australia

1961 Fiat 500 D Model RHD very original has books and dealership stick on back window,off white colour with red interior standard 500cc engine. Unmolested orginal car with 25,000 miles.

1971 Fiat 850 coupe. Just been fully restored with Rosso corsa red leather bone interior, new tyres brakes and recondition engine.

Great topic :)

Dublin, Ireland. 1970 500F, in blue. Bought in England off ebay in 2009. Came with CMR period wheels, a 650cc engine with sports cam and big exhaust, also had 123 electronic ignition. Has since needed an engine rebuild and the cylinders rehoned. At the time had the cylinder head flowed, and a weber 30dic carb fitted. Starting to get a little frilly now about the front wheel arches. Seeing as it's now considered naff to make abarth replicas, I've decided to make it a Giannini replica, nothing too OTT just a few badges etc to match the Giannini sump and gearknob.

Colm.

Blackhall, Hartlepool, UK. Red 1971 500L standard 650 engine, restored by a previous owner, I've had it for 2 1/2 years. Equipped with an "A" frame bracket and I tow it to rallies behind our motorhome.

Update

Australia
Chris aka Bambino, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
1967, 500F, RHD, Rosso Corsa.
Stripped to a shell, blasted, new panels and rust repairs then painted Rosso Corsa. Black vinyl upholstery with red piping.
695cc upgrade with larger inlet valves, ported head with DellOrto carby, raised compression ratio, sports camshaft, electronic ignition. Aluminium Abarth valve cover and sump. Components balanced.
Rebuilt 126 transaxle.
Front disc brakes and rear drums on 126 stub axles. 145/70 R12 radials on standard steel wheels.
Suspension lowered at the back and reverse eye spring at the front.
Rebuilt wiring loom and standard instruments (so far). Alternator.

Damon aka Damon500, Donvale, Victoria
1973, 500F, RHD
30,000mls purchased off original owner in Christchurch, NZ in 1991- as seen on cover of the 'Bambina' book.

1969, 500F, RHD
Purchased in 2004- 93,000mls with 650cc 126 Motor and transmission and Nanni 5 Speed conversion. My daily driver from 2004-14

1960 Fiat Giardiniera, RHD
Purchased in 2009- 650cc with 126 Gearbox and 5 speed conversion- finished restoration in Dec 2014 and current Daily driver now travelled 2500km

1960 and 1964 Fiat 500 Giardiniera restoration projects- waiting for elusive spare time!

Joe aka tjmra, Brisbane, Queensland
1969, 500F, RHD.
Non standard items
145 x 12 tyres
Carpet.
Inertia reel seat belts
Fiamm air horn

Nick aka 124spiderman, Sydney, NSW

Adam aka mizcca69, Adelaide, South Australia
1961, 500D, RHD, off white
Very original has books and dealership stick on back window, off white colour with red interior standard 500cc engine. Unmolested orginal car with 25,000 miles.

1971 Fiat 850 coupe, RHD, Rosso Corsa
Just been fully restored with Rosso corsa red leather bone interior, new tyres brakes and recondition engine.

Canada
Chris aka christopolous, Waterloo, Ontario

Germany
John aka Giardiniera1969, Wiesbaden

England
Tony aka vitesse, Westerham, Kent
1966, 500F, RHD, Blu Turchese
Purchased in 1992. Refurbished and resprayed in 2014.
It is nearly 100% original the only departures being the 123 ignition and Fiamm horn.
I do have a rebuilt 650cc engine and gearbox to go in the car, whether it stays in there or sold on is yet to be decided???

Sean aka Franko500, Herne Bay, Kent

Andrew aka AndrewHarvey, Canterbury, Kent

Damian aka Paolo66, Colchester, Essex
1966, 500F, RHD, azzuro aqcuamarina (baby blue)
The wifes car (I am just the mechanic). Purchased from Nathan Robertson who runs fiat500classics.co.uk. Currently under a full resto which I hope to finish by the end of August. 650 engine and syncro box.

Gareth aka ozza, Hampshire

Steve aka stevehg, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

Gary aka Hugh Jarce, Barwell, Leicestershire
1972, 500L, RHD, Fire Starter Red
594CC, 126 synchro gearbox
Complete restoration to body Bare metal paint and complete new interior with red piped seats and wood rim steering wheel, wood knee pad
Engine and transmission change
All new under carriage, (suspension, brakes complete etc.).
Bare metal respray
New interior bespoke seats with red piping
Wood gear knob
Centre console with classic style stereo
Full carpet set with Fiat badged rugs
Rear shelf speaker panel with Fiat badging
Fiat Mille Miglia Alloys all round

Franco aka Little Frank, Warwick, Warwickshire

Dan aka thisisburdett, Britannia, Lancashire

Andy aka Dunnah01, Nantwich, Cheshire
1971, 500L, LHD
Imported to UK circa 2009 - Bought in 2012 - Resto started but lost garage so mothballed until last month - now back undergoing resto. Mechanicals all replaced/refurbished - 650cc 126 engine with synchro box, distrubutorless ignition, alternator.
Moccha with cream interior is current order from SWSBO.
Bodywork progressing well, minor welding complete now prepping for painting.
Custom wiring loom with push button start, remote alarm & central locking, probable DAB radio with SAT nav, 3rd brake light, HIDs

Fran Aka Ciccio500, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
1970, 500L, LHD

Eric aka Berkeleyman, Blackhall, Cleveland
1971, 500L, Red
Standard 650 engine, restored by a previous owner, I've had it for 2 1/2 years. Equipped with an "A" frame bracket and I tow it to rallies behind our motorhome.

?Our Mod? aka oopsadaisy, Redditch, Worcestershire
1972, 500L, Orange Red, LHD
650cc 126 engine
123 Electronic Ignition

Ireland
Darryl aka dk500, Blackrock, Dublin
1964, 500D, LHD, Blu Turchese
650cc synchromesh

Colm aka PointFive0, Dublin
1970, 500F, Blue
Bought in England off ebay in 2009. Came with CMR period wheels, a 650cc engine with sports cam and big exhaust, also had 123 electronic ignition. Has since needed an engine rebuild and the cylinders rehoned. At the time had the cylinder head flowed, and a weber 30dic carb fitted. Starting to get a little frilly now about the front wheel arches. Seeing as it's now considered naff to make abarth replicas, I've decided to make it a Giannini replica, nothing too OTT just a few badges etc to match the Giannini sump and gearknob.

New Zealand
Tim aka timgarman, Wanganui, North Island
1966, 500F, RHD.

Roger aka RogerNZ Auckland, North Island

Chris aka looigi, Christchurch, South Island

Bob aka nzbobc, Christchurch, South Island
1972, 500F, RHD, White
New England, US ex-pat.
Like Damian, it's my partner's car, I'm just the mechanic. We use it all weekend long to run all our errands. A little more work on it and we'll use it as one of our daily drivers.
It's been repainted at some point, "Appliance white" as several people have called the colour-it's very bright in the sunshine.
650cc motor and differential, 3.5l alloy sump, Hi-lift cam (good low end torque), Skimmed head, 123 ignition.
126 stub axles and brakes up front, 126 hubs and brakes on the back. 145/70R 12 tyres on steel rims.
126 seats, inertia reel seat belts, oil temp&pressure gauges, tach, carpet.

James aka nzbambina, Wellington, North Island
1963, 500D, RHD
My Dad bought it for my Mum to drive back in about 1970 and it's never left the family. Completely unmodified and it goes like a dream. I did a road trip in it over Christmas. I was going to do bits and pieces to it before setting out like putting in electronic ignition but my brother said, 'No, just drive it as it is. If it breaks down, it's all part of the adventure of having a Bambina.' So I did. When I set out I fully expected the car to expire in protest and it had travelled 10 kilometres (What do you mean, you want me to go further than 10 kilometres? I haven't done that since 1980!) but it singularly failed to break down. I drove it about 400 kilometres up steep winding hills and over rough corrugated bone-shaking metal roads and it never missed a beat. In fact, it just seemed to get better and better. I haven't had so much fun in years. This year I'm going to start doing it up.

Scotland
Peter aka fiat500, Nairn, Highlands

United States
Luxe aka Luxe (I couldn't find a name?), San Diego, California

Wales
Tom aka the hobbler, Saltney, Flintshire?
1971, 500L, Burgundy
Purchased from Middle Barton Garage October 2012.
It came with 650 engine and synchro box in it, along with 126 hubs and brakes both ends. Also included were a pair of bucket seats and a wood-rim steering wheel. MBG stored it for me over the winter 2012/2013 as I was away (racing a 51ft yacht across the Atlantic). Whilst they stored it, I had them fit Grp2 , bolt-on, wheel arch extensions. I have lowered it, fitted 13in wheels, fitted 500 flywheel, sports exhaust, 35/75/75/35 camshaft, skimmed and carefully flowed cylinder head, larger inlet valves and re-jetted carb. Over the winter 2013/2014 I helped with a 'down to metal' re-spray (Fiat 124 Burgundy) and had the interior trimmed out in white cloth. It goes well, and looks pretty good. Fair bit more to do yet, but as I am retired it has to be as funds allow--all being done on a budget!

Last edited:
You're doing a great job there Tony. So I had better summarise my car setup.
It's easy:

A 1969 F in Turkish Blue.
Right-hand drive UK specification.
499cc, the original engine and non-syncromesh gearbox.
It has been totally rebuilt in every detail but with probably 95% of everything except bodywork steel retained.
Interior completely original.
Modifications are a cigarette lighter socket on the end of a cable in the glovebox for a satnav and copper aero-locknuts coupled with 126 tab-washers on the exhaust elbows. Tailored carpet mats.

You're doing a great job there Tony. So I had better summarise my car setup.
It's easy:

A 1969 F in Turkish Blue.
Right-hand drive UK specification.
499cc, the original engine and non-syncromesh gearbox.
It has been totally rebuilt in every detail but with probably 95% of everything except bodywork steel retained.
Interior completely original.
Modifications are a cigarette lighter socket on the end of a cable in the glovebox for a satnav and copper aero-locknuts coupled with 126 tab-washers on the exhaust elbows. Tailored carpet mats.

Ooh Peter, I assume spell checker has been doing its job on Turkish Blue.

I never thought about how you were powering the Sat Nav. Pictures of that would be useful. Where did you take the supply from?

Ooh Peter, I assume spell checker has been doing its job on Turkish Blue.

I never thought about how you were powering the Sat Nav. Pictures of that would be useful. Where did you take the supply from?

Nah...I just thought "Blue? not azurro so Turkish, not Turchese!":)

The feed for the socket is simples...earthed onto the famous terminal on the petrol tank sender and feed from a randomly chosen , switched live (azurro with nero tracer):eek: running behind the dash. I threaded the cable through the screen washer pipe grommet in the bulkhead and the thing sits, slightly clumsily, in the glovebox; so no drilling or other mod.

Back