Technical has anyone ever opened up a stock silencer?

Currently reading:
Technical has anyone ever opened up a stock silencer?

smart51

Established member
I'm wondering if a custom exhaust could be made that is quieter than the stock unit. It is not known as a free flowing exhaust so it could at least be quieter. I can't find any pictures on line of the innards and wondered what is in there already. Enthusiasts tend to like loud so aftermarket parts are often louder than the original. I'd imagine a custom exhaust could maintain air flow with fewer decibels. Do you have any pictures?

It's certainly possible to make a very quiet exhaust with modern aftermarket silencers.... but my question would be how much of the noise inside the 500 is actually actually coming out of the exhaust?

Certainly there's lots of engine noise in my 500, but I would say quite of a lot of it could be intake, or mechanical sounds resonating through the metalwork, I'm not actually hearing a lot of what to me sounds like typical 'exhaust' noise, if that makes sense?

Does anyone recognise what exhaust this is? I suspect the bulge by the can might be a clue. Its a 594cc engine BTW.

20230619_125002.jpg

20230619_125025.jpg

That looks a lot like an Ansa exhaust
If it is, it will be embossed on the round body

Back