Technical Front end beefing up….

Currently reading:
Technical Front end beefing up….

The welding re vamp has is just about completed!👏👏. Having gone through 180 power file belts, , 20 cutting discs, and a bottle of 5%argon I’m now onto the front end stiffening. As Kelvyne modified front brace is being made.

I did see some pictures of a couple of your modifications, but can I find them…..heck no!

So any of you kind enough to post some pics of the suspension mounts I’d be very grateful! I’m sort of toying with the strut brace bar with cranked ends, an easily fabricated item; but maybe also a 2.5mm shell piece to be bolted or welded in position encapsulating the front suspension mount.
Any neat looking ones ideally. Thanks

The welding re vamp has is just about completed!👏👏. Having gone through 180 power file belts, , 20 cutting discs, and a bottle of 5%argon I’m now onto the front end stiffening. As Kelvyne modified front brace is being made.

I did see some pictures of a couple of your modifications, but can I find them…..heck no!

So any of you kind enough to post some pics of the suspension mounts I’d be very grateful! I’m sort of toying with the strut brace bar with cranked ends, an easily fabricated item; but maybe also a 2.5mm shell piece to be bolted or welded in position encapsulating the front suspension mount.

I have fitted the cross-brace supplied by "D'angelo Motori"---part number:---D2266 (98.36euro). It seems to be a well made product that fitted straight on. I am using GAZ front 'coil-overs', and there is enough thread at the top of their damper units to secure the cross-brace to. If you have any contacts/friends in Italy, get them to initially purchase the strut for you, get "D'angelo" to post it to them, and then your friend post it to you---this way you will save sensible amount on carriage.The "D'angelo" cross-brace has both left and tight hand threads on the adjuster section---it was a doddle to tension it up. Did you have to renew the inner front wings in you re-build? If you did, I would have expected you to have had to fit 126 inner wings (the 500 inner wings are just about impossible to find) I have 126 inner-wings on my car, and they would seem to be stronger at the top damper-mount area than the 500 inner wings. I have had my 'coil-overs' on for over a year now, with no stressing (that I can see)

Thanks for the reply. The original wings remain as there are in reasonable condition, apart from the inherited atrocious welding. There is a new wing on the outer side under neath if you get my drift.
So I’ve decided to make up one of these.
Experimented with two modifications. Think the second one is for keeps. Having welded some studs in preparation of a cross brace , so as to avoid the fuel tank, I shall fabricate another capping for the near side.

So because the underneath of this plate is never going to sit perfectly on top, I will mix up some fibreglass strand filler, and squidge it down to form total area contact, then cut off the excess.

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpeg
    IMG_4278.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4280.jpeg
    IMG_4280.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Back