Technical Front brake conversion kit

Currently reading:
Technical Front brake conversion kit

Vespa1966

Hi.

Just looking to see what the best front brake conversion kit is for a 1970 500L with standard wheels.?

Anyone carried this out and what works best for ease of fitting. Any recommendations?

Many thanks

I've never done a brake conversion, so I can't advise which is the best one. But I can ask why you want to?

I used to work for a firm that designed bits of cars. I never did brakes myself but was friends with some who did. They always insisted that discs were not better than drums, each one has advantages and disadvantages. For the same surface area of friction material, the same effective radius and the same pedal force, drums and discs will stop the car equally well. There are four questions you need to ask yourself.

Can I lock up the front wheels on a dry road? Yes? You don't need bigger brakes.
Do my brakes overheat in use? No? You don't need bigger brakes.
Am I having problems accepting the brake pedal feel? No? You don't need better brakes.
Am I having problems clearing drum brakes from dust or water in a way that impairs their use? No? You don't need disc brakes.

If you are having one of those problems, then you can consider upgrading. Otherwise, don't bother.

I've never done a brake conversion, so I can't advise which is the best one. But I can ask why you want to?

I used to work for a firm that designed bits of cars. I never did brakes myself but was friends with some who did. They always insisted that discs were not better than drums. For the same surface area of friction material, the same effective radius and the same pedal force, drums and discs will stop the car equally well. There are four questions you need to ask yourself.

Can I lock up the front wheels on a dry road? Yes? You don't need bigger brakes.
Do my brakes overheat in use? No? You don't need bigger brakes.
Am I having problems accepting the brake pedal feel? No? You don't need better brakes?
Am I having problems clearing drum brakes from dust or water in a way that impairs their use? No? You don't need disc brakes.

If you are having one of those problems, then you can consider upgrading. Otherwise, don't bother.
Many thanks

Interesting topic i'm also considering a brake disc conversion
so i'm going to keep track of it
If you DO decide to carry out a disc brake conversion (front only---waste of time and money on the rear for a 'road-use-only car), there are a number of conversions on the market--some widen the track quite a bit and therefore extend the tyres to the very edge of the wheel arches, others hardly widen the track at all--do your research before purchasing. You can get away with using the original master cylinder, but if you do, to get a good brake-pedal, you will probably have to fit the smallest available wheel-cylinders (5/8ins) to the rear---the calipers use-up quite a bit more of the brake-fluid in their operation. I would also reccomend that you take the opportunity to up-grade the brake hoses to 'braided-steel', the front especially. Lastly, as per previous comments, if you retain the original wheels/tyres, you will probably find that the front brakes lock-up very easily, especially in the wet. I have fitted discs to the front of my 500, but even though I have 5-1/2 wide alloy wheels and 165x55 tyres, I have to be just a little bit more careful in the wet.

If you DO decide to carry out a disc brake conversion (front only---waste of time and money on the rear for a 'road-use-only car), there are a number of conversions on the market--some widen the track quite a bit and therefore extend the tyres to the very edge of the wheel arches, others hardly widen the track at all--do your research before purchasing. You can get away with using the original master cylinder, but if you do, to get a good brake-pedal, you will probably have to fit the smallest available wheel-cylinders (5/8ins) to the rear---the calipers use-up quite a bit more of the brake-fluid in their operation. I would also reccomend that you take the opportunity to up-grade the brake hoses to 'braided-steel', the front especially. Lastly, as per previous comments, if you retain the original wheels/tyres, you will probably find that the front brakes lock-up very easily, especially in the wet. I have fitted discs to the front of my 500, but even though I have 5-1/2 wide alloy wheels and 165x55 tyres, I have to be just a little bit more careful in the wet.
Thanks for the use full additional information

Back