General fuel cap with key?

Currently reading:
General fuel cap with key?

andy1

I was wondering if anyone has bought a fuel cap with key somewhere?

You can buy them from Fiat. Only problem is you end up with an extra key.

Part numbers...

Petrol - 71802520
Diesel - 71802900

It cost around £15 when I bought mine (about 8 years ago now though).

I bought one the other week from Halfords (I know, I know!) for about £15 for SWMBO's 107 as the cap was getting really hard to use and we didn't want to snap the key!

It works fine - there are two kinds, make sure you get the right one!

I bought one the other week from Halfords (I know, I know!) for about £15 for SWMBO's 107 as the cap was getting really hard to use and we didn't want to snap the key!

It works fine - there are two kinds, make sure you get the right one!

That's where my original one came from as Fiat didn't do the other ones at that point. It only lasted 2 years.

Awesome... and I suppose you can hang it to the fuel door like the original.

I don't know MLW but I am going to park this car in many unknown cities this summer so I prefer to be safe than sorry!

What safety grounds :confused:

I was trying to work that out too :confused: I've never been attacked by a non locking cap, so I don't think they are inherently vicious.....

The idiots with bags of sugar all seem have disappeared too since the '80's. Moved on to something even less constructive no doubt!

Last edited:
Folks.

I've filled up my Grande Punto T-Jet today, and i'm a little concerned..

I've got a petrol cap which has a key hole in it, but i'm really unsure as to how it works.

(sounds really stupid)

I took cap out, fuelled up, but when i was finished, i went to screw the cap in (as my fiesta st did the same!) and it simply kept turning and turning and turning, i tried sticking the key in and twisting but that didn't do anything. so it just kept going in circles.

My concern was that i could simply just pull the cap straight out?! no matter what twisting or key turning I did, it would always just pull out and i'm driving around like it.

Just wondering if this is how it's supposed to be??

please excuse my ignorance, never seen a cap before like it!

Jord.

My family's Punto had a similar problem, you had to hold the cap with your left hand and push/turn the key with your right to make the cap open / close...
Because of this you had to double check everytime to make sure it was closed.
Damn it's already 10 years ago :(
Fuuny how I completely forgot that car had the key

I don't know if it's the same problem with the Grande Punto

Last edited:
The locking cap on the 100HP is the same; it's awfully designed. I've never really worked out how to make it lock shut reliably, I just end up fiddling with it until it works properly, every time I put petrol in the car.

I used to drive a mk7 Fiesta, which had a locking petrol flap (controlled by the central locking) and a valve system on the actual filler hole, it was an infinitely better system than the one Fiat use on the Panda.

The locking cap on the 100HP is the same; it's awfully designed.

Actually its brilliantly designed when you get your head around it, due to the spinning design it stops some swine from damaging it by trying to take it off if still locked.

You put the key in, turn to to unlock (about 160degrees) then turn it anti clockwise, then to replace, leave the key as it is, turn clockwise until it clicks (iirc) then holding the cap still you turn the key back and removed it. Simples.

Actually its brilliantly designed when you get your head around it, due to the spinning design it stops some swine from damaging it by trying to take it off if still locked.

You put the key in, turn to to unlock (about 160degrees) then turn it anti clockwise, then to replace, leave the key as it is, turn clockwise until it clicks (iirc) then holding the cap still you turn the key back and removed it. Simples.
It's still a bit crap and needlessly complicated compared to the system Ford use on the Fiesta.

The fuel cap, along with the lack of heated front screen and one-speed intermittent wipers are my only long term gripes with my 100HP.

Back