Technical Lock and key issues

Currently reading:
Technical Lock and key issues

If someone has tried to force the lock, it could be bent. If it is made of brass, it will not like being straightened, as the first bend will have work hardened it. With it removed, the lock is a little less secure, but as no-one really tries to pick such locks, that will not matter much.
If miine, I'd try to wriggle it out and straighten it, but that might take a lot of hours, and a significant amount of choice language.

I don't see why not as long as the key fully inserts

If I have an ignition barrel that will not turn because the key worn

I either remove the blades completely or file them down and never had any bother

I have repaired quite a few locks but never seen one that's jammed like this, could it be super glue?
I’m not sure if there is a spring mechanism for each blade which has may be got jammed. I can neither push or pull the blade out, it’s solid with a tiny bit of lateral movement.

If you're only going to use it in the airbag switch then filing it down to allow the barrel to turn should be fine.
There are definitely some Pandas around which have had them all removed so any key will work (presumably from breakers, and it was not possible to change the barrels over... or couldn't be bothered?)

I’m not sure if there is a spring mechanism for each blade which has may be got jammed. I can neither push or pull the blade out, it’s solid with a tiny bit of lateral movement.
It's no big deal or hurry as it's now only going to be used fitted back in the passenger airbag

As there is some movement you could try leave it submerged in a thin oil for a few days

If you take the key out do they all stick up the same amount

All the other blades should be sticking up with the key out.

Screenshot_20240204_095734.jpg

Last edited:
The lovely Jane has this peculiar propensity for losing her keys while paddling on the shoreline. In Perth Western Australia, bank holiday Sunday week-end, 41deg c at Hillarys beach, she loses her Hyundai sonata keys in the surf. She calls me and I spend an hour on the 'phone ringing every locksmith I could google until this brave or desperate chap says he'll come. 2 Hours and $650 later after ripping out the whole immobiliser system and associated wiring working in the beach car park in over 40deg of heat he hands her a working set of keys.
Fast forward 10 years, and she's merrily paddling in the surf off Bournemouth pier, and guess what - yes she does it again.
This time 2011 fiat Panda. So I come down and rescue her and claim on the key insurance I took out ......just in case.....
Called Hendy Fiat in Bournemouth and they said they would have to order one from Italy and it would take the best part of a month and cost....wait for it...... a cool £ 580! For a flippin' Fiat Panda!

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_155909.jpg
    IMG_20211001_155909.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 3
The lovely Jane has this peculiar propensity for losing her keys while paddling on the shoreline. In Perth Western Australia, bank holiday Sunday week-end, 41deg c at Hillarys beach, she loses her Hyundai sonata keys in the surf. She calls me and I spend an hour on the 'phone ringing every locksmith I could google until this brave or desperate chap says he'll come. 2 Hours and $650 later after ripping out the whole immobiliser system and associated wiring working in the beach car park in over 40deg of heat he hands her a working set of keys.
Fast forward 10 years, and she's merrily paddling in the surf off Bournemouth pier, and guess what - yes she does it again.
This time 2011 fiat Panda. So I come down and rescue her and claim on the key insurance I took out ......just in case.....
Called Hendy Fiat in Bournemouth and they said they would have to order one from Italy and it would take the best part of a month and cost....wait for it...... a cool £ 580! For a flippin' Fiat Panda!
I think that may include the cost of programming all the remaining keys (about 15 minutes work), so perhaps a bargain.
Alternatively, a whole Panda could be had for a similar price.
Let her have only the non-remote key. And attach it to a necklace or similar lanyard.

Back