Technical Ducato Minibus - N/S wing mirror cover broken.

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato Minibus - N/S wing mirror cover broken.

DevsAd

Hi.
I've seen a YouTube vid on how to replace the whole mirror, but would rather not go there... Anyone know if just the outer cover can be replaced instead?
This is a 2018 MiniBus.
Thanks.
PXL_20230730_102046189.jpg
PXL_20230730_102053829.jpg

Hi.
I've seen a YouTube vid on how to replace the whole mirror, but would rather not go there... Anyone know if just the outer cover can be replaced instead?
This is a 2018 MiniBus.
Thanks.
View attachment 427533View attachment 427534

Hi

On the FIAT cars it just clips in place.. but is pretty pricey

As yours is just taped in place currently..

Might be worth trying to unclip it..and see what you can do

At least its BLACK not body coloured (y)

Thank you both.
Ah, interesting JackWhoo - I hadn't realised it was screwed into place. Phew - thanks for that!
Pattern item bought - silly cheap.

Will update thread with the outcome :)

D'oh! Cover received, looks good, well made, looked again at mirror under the tape applied by a colleague - and realised the whole darned unit is broken...
So, whole item offski it is :-(

Thanks - that is indeed today's task! If I can add the required strength to its structure, then the cover will hide much of the cosmetic stuff. The visible front trims are broken in at least two places, but shouldn't be toooo obvious when the gaps are hopefully closed.

It's for our local Sea Cadet Unit, so I'm trying to save them some pennies.

Still, worst case - a new 'copy' electric unit is only ~£55, which is darned good.

Cheers.

Thanks - that is indeed today's task! If I can add the required strength to its structure, then the cover will hide much of the cosmetic stuff. The visible front trims are broken in at least two places, but shouldn't be toooo obvious when the gaps are hopefully closed.

It's for our local Sea Cadet Unit, so I'm trying to save them some pennies.

Still, worst case - a new 'copy' electric unit is only ~£55, which is darned good.

Cheers.

Good luck.. :)

If you get to post a few pics as you go..

That would be great (y)

The driver thought he'd just cracked the outer casing. In fact most of the mirror had been diagonally severed from its mountings - only the broken outer casing kept it from falling off!

Used my go-to adhesive, Stixall. This sets to a tough, strong rubbery finish, and whilst I'd have preferred to have used a hard-setting product, it was the best I had available to me. I also cut short lengths of thin but stiff SS wire I had, and bedded them in the Stixall at regular intervals to 'stitch' the break together.

PXL_20230811_132516235.jpg
PXL_20230811_132504557.jpg

PXL_20230811_132508383.jpg

Not pretty, but hey.

I think I'll also Stixall the outer case into place around its perimeter, as this should help the overall mirror strength.
On the replacement cover - it cost around a £enner on t'Bay - it has a great finish, looks like a decent quality moulding, but is clearly much thinner than the original - see photo.

PXL_20230811_132640353.jpg
PXL_20230811_132547770.jpg

The driver thought he'd just cracked the outer casing. In fact most of the mirror had been diagonally severed from its mountings - only the broken outer casing kept it from falling off!

Used my go-to adhesive, Stixall. This sets to a tough, strong rubbery finish, and whilst I'd have preferred to have used a hard-setting product, it was the best I had available to me. I also cut short lengths of thin but stiff SS wire I had, and bedded them in the Stixall at regular intervals to 'stitch' the break together.

View attachment 428023View attachment 428020

View attachment 428021

Not pretty, but hey.

I think I'll also Stixall the outer case into place around its perimeter, as this should help the overall mirror strength.
On the replacement cover - it cost around a £enner on t'Bay - it has a great finish, looks like a decent quality moulding, but is clearly much thinner than the original - see photo.

Looks pretty thorough!!

As you say..bonding on the shiny cover will brace it all (y)

Had to replace wing mirror housing after someone hit it whist parked.
I found this video useful, I think it's in Polish but it worked for me.

I bought just a cover threw it in the bin did'nt line up at all waste of £10 now bought whole unit for £52 electric heated not best fit had to file and cut down bolt mountings on new one and scuff out metal backing plate to fit door body contour as it hit..but for 50 quid instead of £400 ill go with that. still have original mirror so might try and swap over metal bit as it is a real snug fit..

Back