General Ducato wing mirror disaster

Currently reading:
General Ducato wing mirror disaster

Arthurdaleygeez

After a shall we just say a altercation with a German motorhome whilst travelling in France.my passenger side wing mirror collided with the wing mirror on the German beast and proceeded to smash into ten if not more little bits.
after getting back to the uk and trying my utmost to find a new wing mirror, not a chance because not only is mine fully electric and heated it also has the fm/dab aerial in it, I contacted fiat and the guy in spares actually apologised to me when he saw the replacement cost (wait for it) over £1000.00
yes £1000.00, after having a heart attack I thought I would have a nose on the dreaded eBay, nope no wing mirror, tell a lie there was one but some pillock had cut the aerial wires off, and to low into the base for mine to be soldered onto them.
so I thought to myself let’s have a look for one without the aerials. What £67.00 could it be true was it a wind up?. I ordered it from a well known site with the letter a in there name, and then got a email confirming the order.
a few days past I could not understand why my credit card had not been charged so I contacted them via web chat, oh my god after a hour or so on the web and over four Indian gentlemen who could not understand English at all it was told to me that I had cancelled the order, no I had not.
anyway they got told to go ####themselfs and back I went onto eBay. I found one (a copy) £67.00 had it delivered to Argos, picked it up and now the fun bit.
1/ build quality not promising
2/ indicator lense and bolb holder a fire hazard
3/ worth £67.00 if you don’t mind a bit of fettling.

hear is how to save your self a fortune if the same happens to you.

1/ remove electric window switch (it pulls up)
2/ unplug you’re wing mirror (gently)
3/ unscrew the four bolts holding your mirror onto your motorhome (get some to hold it whilst you unbolt it)
4/ before you pull the wire through attatch a peice of string to it so you can pull your new wing mirror wireing through (also see below)
5/ unplug your dab/fm aerial wires (attatch as above)
6/ gently remove your mirror from youre vehicle.

now if you have any left, remove both mirrors (top and bottom) remove back cover then you will see the dab/fm aerial, remove it.
now remove you’re indicator lense bulb and wireing.
discard old mirror assy.

get new mirror and unscrew indicator lense unplug wireing cut off end plug (leave enough wireing to solder your old indicator lense on)
Resolver to the plug of your new mirror then fit back on your old indicator lense.
attatch the string to your new mirrors wireing plug and pull gently through the bodywork bolt your new mirror assy to your vehicle and plug in mirror wireing, job almost done, remember the dab/fm aerial plug it back in attach the earth connection to the bolt in the middle of the door support hide all the aerial bits and bobs inside the door and replace your window switch!,,,,
over £1000.00 saved and the aerial even works better, ducato‘s are prone for poor aerial signal.
If you see any gaps around mirror base, drop of black sealant £4.00 screwfix job done.

After a shall we just say a altercation with a German motorhome whilst travelling in France.my passenger side wing mirror collided with the wing mirror on the German beast and proceeded to smash into ten if not more little bits.
after getting back to the uk and trying my utmost to find a new wing mirror, not a chance because not only is mine fully electric and heated it also has the fm/dab aerial in it, I contacted fiat and the guy in spares actually apologised to me when he saw the replacement cost (wait for it) over £1000.00
yes £1000.00, after having a heart attack I thought I would have a nose on the dreaded eBay, nope no wing mirror, tell a lie there was one but some pillock had cut the aerial wires off, and to low into the base for mine to be soldered onto them.
so I thought to myself let’s have a look for one without the aerials. What £67.00 could it be true was it a wind up?. I ordered it from a well known site with the letter a in there name, and then got a email confirming the order.
a few days past I could not understand why my credit card had not been charged so I contacted them via web chat, oh my god after a hour or so on the web and over four Indian gentlemen who could not understand English at all it was told to me that I had cancelled the order, no I had not.
anyway they got told to go ####themselfs and back I went onto eBay. I found one (a copy) £67.00 had it delivered to Argos, picked it up and now the fun bit.
1/ build quality not promising
2/ indicator lense and bolb holder a fire hazard
3/ worth £67.00 if you don’t mind a bit of fettling.

hear is how to save your self a fortune if the same happens to you.

1/ remove electric window switch (it pulls up)
2/ unplug you’re wing mirror (gently)
3/ unscrew the four bolts holding your mirror onto your motorhome (get some to hold it whilst you unbolt it)
4/ before you pull the wire through attatch a peice of string to it so you can pull your new wing mirror wireing through (also see below)
5/ unplug your dab/fm aerial wires (attatch as above)
6/ gently remove your mirror from youre vehicle.

now if you have any left, remove both mirrors (top and bottom) remove back cover then you will see the dab/fm aerial, remove it.
now remove you’re indicator lense bulb and wireing.
discard old mirror assy.

get new mirror and unscrew indicator lense unplug wireing cut off end plug (leave enough wireing to solder your old indicator lense on)
Resolver to the plug of your new mirror then fit back on your old indicator lense.
attatch the string to your new mirrors wireing plug and pull gently through the bodywork bolt your new mirror assy to your vehicle and plug in mirror wireing, job almost done, remember the dab/fm aerial plug it back in attach the earth connection to the bolt in the middle of the door support hide all the aerial bits and bobs inside the door and replace your window switch!,,,,
over £1000.00 saved and the aerial even works better, ducato‘s are prone for poor aerial signal.
If you see any gaps around mirror base, drop of black sealant £4.00 screwfix job done.
£1000 for a wing mirror. These jokers REALLY deserve a long slow painful life!
PS Really great post!

Great fun is.nt it , after you have done a few it gets easier , you were lucky you had the foresight to attach string to the wireing loom , several i have done have not had enough cable to fiddle with and it then turns into a nightmare trying to reconnect the plugs , but well done ..!

The price of mirrors from Fiat is stupid , try Peugeot or Citroen next time , you may get a suprise at there priceing .

PS. Keep your remnants you might need them for the next mishap ....!

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a 2002 Ducato Autotrail that came with an O/S electric extra long arm door mirror that was broken (the monkey metal arms under the rubber) and I'm struggling to find a reasonably priced replacement, most are £130 - 170 (ok, cheap compared to Fiat i know). Having read many posts on here re this, in order to reduce the likely hood of impacts /future costs as it may happen again, does anyone have experience of fitting the medium length arm electric door mirror as a replacement? Its around £70 it seems. Questions that spring to mind include are the external door covering baseplate/fitting points (or can the base plate be transferred over from my old one?) and electric cables (these should be easier to modify to fit) the same or can they be modified to fit? Reading other posts it seems the extra long arm door mirrors are fitted as standard from the Ducato chassis cab and I'm thinking the medium length arm would still allow full view as needed - does anyone have any experience of this please? As far as i know there is no temperature sensor in it and i have a separate radio aerial.

I'm also chasing a shower room round pop up roof vent (200mm external diameter hole) and if possible a rear bumper at a reasonable price. All suggestions of alternatives or spares breakers welcome as its hard to find new replacements, I'm based in the South West UK, near Plymouth but will travel if feasible or courier/post options. Thanks, Rich

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a 2002 Ducato Autotrail that came with an O/S electric extra long arm door mirror that was broken (the monkey metal arms under the rubber) and I'm struggling to find a reasonably priced replacement, most are £130 - 170 (ok, cheap compared to Fiat i know). Having read many posts on here re this, in order to reduce the likely hood of impacts /future costs as it may happen again, does anyone have experience of fitting the medium length arm electric door mirror as a replacement? Its around £70 it seems. Questions that spring to mind include are the external door covering baseplate/fitting points (or can the base plate be transferred over from my old one?) and electric cables (these should be easier to modify to fit) the same or can they be modified to fit? Reading other posts it seems the extra long arm door mirrors are fitted as standard from the Ducato chassis cab and I'm thinking the medium length arm would still allow full view as needed - does anyone have any experience of this please? As far as i know there is no temperature sensor in it and i have a separate radio aerial.

I'm also chasing a shower room round pop up roof vent (200mm external diameter hole) and if possible a rear bumper at a reasonable price. All suggestions of alternatives or spares breakers welcome as its hard to find new replacements, I'm based in the South West UK, near Plymouth but will travel if feasible or courier/post options. Thanks, Rich
if you haven’t allready done so, if you reedy post “ ducato wing mirror disaster “ on here, posted by me, there you can see a step-by-step step guide to obtaining and fitting a copy long arm wing mirror. All in at about £70.00, and as for the aerial reroute it into the door ( see post) and the temp sensor is in the d/s mirror on ducato‘s.

I do not understand why eBay is "dreaded" in post #1. This seems rather derogatory. In my opinion, their search engine, is far superior to that on Amazon, as are the produst details. Generally prices are more competitive. New and used goods are sold via both organisations. Those who sneer at eBay would do well to remember that Amazon was originally a used book store.

When I suffered from a similar incident which also shattered the quarterlight, I was able to locate an excellemt used replacement window via eBay. As reported a non OEM mirror was cheaper, but needed some fettling to allow room for the cable. On my x244 I had to carefully cut a slit in the door membrane above the speaker, in order to access the harness connector.

if you haven’t allready done so, if you reedy post “ ducato wing mirror disaster “ on here, posted by me, there you can see a step-by-step step guide to obtaining and fitting a copy long arm wing mirror. All in at about £70.00, and as for the aerial reroute it into the door ( see post) and the temp sensor is in the d/s mirror on ducato‘s.
Thanks for your reply, i have read your post which will be v useful I'm sure. You fitted a replacement long arm mirror, I'm thinking of fitting a medium length arm mirror to make it less likely to be whacked in passing, do you or anybody know if the 2002 medium length arm mirror baseplate is the same as my long arm one please? I'm presuming it is?. Also I'm presuming it will still give a decent view down the side, anybody done this? I also couldn't find find a copy long arm mirror at £70, cheapest was about £130, where did you find yours please? Thanks

Thanks for your reply, i have read your post which will be v useful I'm sure. You fitted a replacement long arm mirror, I'm thinking of fitting a medium length arm mirror to make it less likely to be whacked in passing, do you or anybody know if the 2002 medium length arm mirror baseplate is the same as my long arm one please? I'm presuming it is?. Also I'm presuming it will still give a decent view down the side, anybody done this? I also couldn't find find a copy long arm mirror at £70, cheapest was about £130, where did you find yours please? Thanks
The width of coachbuilt C class ducatos varies imensely. there are many that could cope with the medium arm and still be legal but others are realy wide like Baileys (2.42m) and would not give a good view or be legal. One way to check is from back look down length of body can you see any arm how much could you cope with 6" less . I read an article where a guy replaced his long arm with Medium arms successfully on a Rapido7090 2.3m wide. what is the arm length of short , medium , long.

The width of coachbuilt C class ducatos varies imensely. there are many that could cope with the medium arm and still be legal but others are realy wide like Baileys (2.42m) and would not give a good view or be legal. One way to check is from back look down length of body can you see any arm how much could you cope with 6" less . I read an article where a guy replaced his long arm with Medium arms successfully on a Rapido7090 2.3m wide. what is the arm length of short , medium , long.
Thanks for the reply, good advice, i'll check that and let you know :), also the legal requirements.

Back