Technical Do I need to get my ECU reprogrammed/repaired?

Currently reading:
Technical Do I need to get my ECU reprogrammed/repaired?

A mismatch between the CAM and CKP sensors can throw a CAM or CKP error the ECU know it’s not right and guessing which is at fault.

If you unplug the CAM are you still reading RPM with the scanner

A mismatch between the CAM and CKP sensors can throw a CAM or CKP error the ECU know it’s not right and guessing which is at fault.

If you unplug the CAM are you still reading RPM with the scanner
I would assume not as I'm only reading RPM with the new (deeper/longer) sensor.

You can see on the engine if you take the timing cover off that the 'old' sensor doesn't go anywhere near the cam pulley.

I would assume not as I'm only reading RPM with the new (deeper/longer) sensor.

You can see on the engine if you take the timing cover off that the 'old' sensor doesn't go anywhere near the cam pulley.
We need to know where the RPM on the scanner is getting it’s signal from

I suspect if you disconnect the CAM sensor the P0335 will disappear and you will still get a RPM on the scanner

If there’s no RPM the ECU is only getting information from the CAM sensor

The CKP is the important one if the ECU receives its signal and the CODE has received a valid key it should fire a spark

We need to know where the RPM on the scanner is getting it’s signal from

I suspect if you disconnect the CAM sensor the P0335 will disappear and you will still get a RPM on the scanner

If there’s no RPM the ECU is only getting information from the CAM sensor

The CKP is the important one if the ECU receives its signal and the CODE has received a valid key it should fire a spark
Can confirm, RPMs only show up if the cam sensor is plugged in.

Can confirm, RPMs only show up if the cam sensor is plugged in.
You are not going to get anywhere without a CKP signal

There’s only two wires straight to the ECU

And the sensor makes it’s own voltage

As far as I know the crank pulley hasn’t changed since well before and the same on latter 500 engines

Is there an AC voltage produced on the two wires while cranking

You are not going to get anywhere without a CKP signal

There’s only two wires straight to the ECU

And the sensor makes it’s own voltage

As far as I know the crank pulley hasn’t changed since well before and the same on latter 500 engines

Is there an AC voltage produced on the two wires while cranking
Testing now - not by the looks of it weirdly.

Attachments

• 20230201_131140.jpg
    20230201_131140.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230201_130935.mp4
    34.9 MB
That dimple has to be correct or the pulley will wobble and the TDC timing notch wont be in the right place. Push the pulley onto the shaft and turn until you feel the dimple connect. Don't fully tighten the bolts until you are sure it's seated correctly.

Righty - turns out I didn't install it backwards, I just broke the one off the new engine trying to hold it still with a spanner while I undid the bolts so put the old one on which isn't compatible with where the sensor is on this engine
That dimple has to be correct or the pulley will wobble and the TDC timing notch wont be in the right place. Push the pulley onto the shaft and turn until you feel the dimple connect. Don't fully tighten the bolts until you are sure it's seated correctly.
The dimple was correct, I'm just dumb :) new crank pulley should be here tomorrow!

Okay - I'm not gonna be working on her again until tomorrow, but a couple of issues on start up.

First is that I could only run it for a second or two because the revs ran super high so I turned it off right away cos the engine appeared to be smoking 😅 planning on opening the throttle tomorrow to make sure nothing got jammed open while i was working.

Second thing is that the alternator off the old engine doesn't line up with the crank pulley on the new engine because of the difference in positioning in the pins, so I need to find a way of bringing the alternator forward a smidge (or presumably buy a new alternator that's compatible with the later engines).

Back