Technical How do you get the alternator out?

Currently reading:
Technical How do you get the alternator out?

LaverdaJota

Hi there,

Need to change the alternator on my '04 Panda with air con (not gassed so not working).

Have got the belt off and the three 13mm bolts that hold it on (the top one took lots of time finding the right combination of ratchet and socket but finally got there). When the top bolt undid I thought I was in the clear but the damned thing doesn't seem to drop out the bottom (and can't pop out the top because of the blessed defunct air con' unit which I thought didn't ought to be messed with because of the remaining gasses). What's the trick to get it out?

Cheers

Nick :)

Undo the two bolts from the bottom of the strut

Release the ball joint

Cut the clip on the driveshaft boot

Protect the split ends of the drive shafts with a plastic bag and rubber band

And pull the whole lot out of the way

See if I can find some instruction

There is a YouTube video but that's a harder way

Me and my mate got it out by moving the coolant reservoir aside and removing the top engine mount right next to the reservoir. That bought us enough wiggle room to remove the alternator from below. Right behind the drive shaft if I remember correctly. Whole thing took about an hour and a half on a Quickjack.

Me and my mate got it out by moving the coolant reservoir aside and removing the top engine mount right next to the reservoir. That bought us enough wiggle room to remove the alternator from below. Right behind the drive shaft if I remember correctly. Whole thing took about an hour and a half on a Quickjack.
Thanks for the advice on replacing the alternator - all done! I couldn't see a way for me to free enough room the epifant route so did it by pulling the driveshaft. Took my time, called a mate and got there without mistake. I'd say a confident mechanic would take a couple of hours - took me four but that was on & off the job.
I hate working on cars despite being happy to take a motorcycle apart but I have to say with the Forum's advice I'm ready for the next time. Now all I have to do is decide how to spend the £150 I saved on labour! Cheers & thanks again Nick :)

Cool, well done,

It's surprisingly how quick these jobs are

When on a lift
When you done the job before
When you have access to proper tools

Back