Technical Can I upgrade from single DIN to double?

Currently reading:
Technical Can I upgrade from single DIN to double?

AlexJD

I have a Fiat Panda 1.1 Active Eco (2010). It's my first car that I bought in 2020. Other than the squeaky slave cylinder which I had to replace (came out in two pieces) it has been great.

It's the basic model with just a single DIN stereo slot and a drawer above it (no aircon). The first thing I did when I got it was swap in a new single DIN Sony stereo which works well for music and calls.

However I have an itch to try out android auto which in most cases requires double DIN (single DIN does exist but they're not great or they have pop-out screens).

Is it possible to remove the single DIN slot and the drawer above it to upgrade to a double DIN slot? It looks like third party adapters exist but I just want to check if this is actually a thing.

Bonus question. This model has no RPM counter. I don't think I would do this but I'm intrigued, is it possible to swap the dashboard for the higher models that do have RPM counters? I'm guessing the tachometer would have to be wired in as I'm assuming none of the wiring is there. Probably easier to just use the OBD2 port but I'm curious.

This is cheap enough to risk. You will probably have to file, fill and fettle it for a good fit but when done paint it to match your dash colour. Sadly there's always a theft risk. I'm sure the ICE section has ideas for that.

You "can" fit higher spec instruments, but there are many issues. Search the forum for more information.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
@DaveMcT Thanks for the pointers. I honestly wasn't sure if the 'drawer' in the original fascia could be removed to allow a double din unit and fascia.

I was looking at some of the fascia's on DynamicSounds. They seem similarly priced and a bit better than the usual eBay third-party fascia's.

Theft is a concern so I'll have to try make it look as flush/covert as I can but I'll look at the ICE forum too for ideas.

I think I can cope without a tachometer if I've gone this long without one. Seems like a weird thing to remove for cost constraints but if I do need one for diagnosing anything there's nothing stopping me using a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and a phone.

On upper spec models, the radio face is double DIN, although the housing of the unit is not.
There is physically space for the double DIN height, but space behind for the cables is tight.
I've been looking at this option for some time, and with the demise of CDs, many units are now shorter, so will give good space behind for cables.
The glovebox comes out fairly easily, and allows some access behind the radio, to ensure wiring is not trapped. That would also give an option for routing the USB cable, if not on the front of the unit.

If you want the radio to switch on and off with the ignition You usually require an ignition switched line slicing in or a canbus converter adding

Following people that have gone down this route before would take some of the guess work out.Most of the information is in the I. C. E. section as posted by @DaveMcT

I see the radio is is already swapped for an after market on so hopefully the wiring is already taken care of

Android 2din have also successfully been fitted

Such as here

Last edited:
The dash just swaps over and reprogrammed then works (probably)

There are a few snags

First if you want to use the trip computer you will also need the right hand stalk

You can only align the milage if the new dials have a lower milage than the originals

You will need to preform a proxi alignment after fitting to stop the milage flashing

The dash is very subseptable to damp. Accident damaged windows smashed, stored in a damp warehouse can cause the warning lights to glow slightly.

But "normally" an easy upgrade

I say normally because it's be done a few times on pre eco cars around the 2005 mark. I have noticed some of the wiring altered slightly around 2009. You would be the first to try as far as I know to try on an eco.

Such as here

Last edited:
The dash just swaps over and reprogrammed then works (probably)

There are a few snags

First if you want to use the trip computer you will also need the right hand stalk

You can only align the milage if the new dials have a lower milage than the originals

You will need to preform a proxi alignment after fitting to stop the milage flashing

The dash is very subseptable to damp. Accident damaged windows smashed, stored in a damp warehouse can cause the warning lights to glow slightly.

But "normally" an easy upgrade

I say normally because it's be done a few times on pre eco cars around the 2005 mark. I have noticed some of the wiring altered slightly around 2009. You would be the first to try as far as I know to try on an eco.

Such as here

Sounds like fun 😅

Lower mileage than the originals might be a bit hard. I bought it at 19k miles now 30k.

Talk to ECU Testing near Nottingham. They might be able to return a used panel to factory so it wont force up your mileage when connected.

Sounds like fun 😅

Lower mileage than the originals might be a bit hard. I bought it at 19k miles now 30k.

Shame the development has stopped on KM Tool, it's £10 delevered from aliexpress but only works an the Panda from 2004-2007

There's no really cheap alternatives for post 2007 that I could find, cheapest I could find was just under the £200 mark

Plenty of people offer the service of doing it for you at a cost, just Google milage correction. I can't recommend a perticular one as I have never used any.

Back