Technical Blue & Me and Flashing Odometer

Currently reading:
Technical Blue & Me and Flashing Odometer

mikegml

Recently I had the ‘flashing odometer’ and flat battery problem which led to me discovering my ‘Blue & Me’ unit was kaput. I sent the unit off to a guy who said it had several faults and who repaired it. However, from my end it’s still the same, I’ve played about with it but no luck. I can’t be bothered with it tbh and so have disconnected and removed it. The radio still works fine, I can live with that. However, I’ve still got the ‘flashing odometer’ How do I fix that?

No. You can buy the necessary software and hardware yourself from a company like Gendan or look under forums for the Multi Ecu Scan members register and try to find someone near you to do it for you.

Or you could go to a dealer and have your wallet emptied…

Thanks. I'll look into the first option then. If there's any one near me in Watford, let me know.

If you own a Fiat or Alfa and do your own work it is well worth the money buying the product. I bought a kit from Gendan which included the licensed version of MES, a fast USB OBD dongle and the necessary cables for about £125. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Used to do my own work but these days I just do the real easy stuff. Can't believe a bluetooth media unit could cause so much hassle and be such a pain in the a**

Used to do my own work but these days I just do the real easy stuff. Can't believe a bluetooth media unit could cause so much hassle and be such a pain in the a**
My Alfa/Fiat Tech said that you cannot remove the B&M unit from the Body Control Software without rewriting the whole vehicle, cheaper option for me turned out to use a working second hand B&M unit (it came from an Alfa something but key was that it was functional and therefore had it's IP address. As I understand it new (virgin units) and (sometimes) repaired units have to be reprogrammed. The second hand one I had was plug and play.

I don't use the B&M bluetooth functionality but the flashing odo was just annoying!

Just to explain a little further, only the most modern test equipment used to repair these units can also read the identification data from the module and store it for later reflashing. So the options are:

1. B&M unit not turning off but the microcontroller can be accessed - ID can be pulled and stored. If the original can be repaired this ID can be reflashed into the unit after repair (if needed). The unit can be refitted and will work straight away.
2. B&M can be accessed but is not worth repairing - ID can be obtained and flashed into a brand new unit which will work straight away.
3. B&M unit is toast and cannot be accessed - a new unit is required and will need proxi alignment.

This only applies to those repairers using the very latest equipment. Otherwise, a unit can only be fixed and returned as plug and play if the micro does not need to be replaced. The ID data will be lost if the repairer cannot read the micro before replacing it. This will then be returned as fixed but will need proxi alignment.

You say plug and play. So, you just sourced a new unit and plugged it in and it worked? Flashing odometer?
No. Not "new" (virgin), second hand but working so has an address. This did "plug and play" in that it works and the odo stopped flashing without any other intervention (although it didn't fit the mounting bracket as the case was a different shape being of Alfa origin). See @Eltezz reply which explains the background context very well

Just to explain a little further, only the most modern test equipment used to repair these units can also read the identification data from the module and store it for later reflashing. So the options are:

1. B&M unit not turning off but the microcontroller can be accessed - ID can be pulled and stored. If the original can be repaired this ID can be reflashed into the unit after repair (if needed). The unit can be refitted and will work straight away.
2. B&M can be accessed but is not worth repairing - ID can be obtained and flashed into a brand new unit which will work straight away.
3. B&M unit is toast and cannot be accessed - a new unit is required and will need proxi alignment.

This only applies to those repairers using the very latest equipment. Otherwise, a unit can only be fixed and returned as plug and play if the micro does not need to be replaced. The ID data will be lost if the repairer cannot read the micro before replacing it. This will then be returned as fixed but will need proxi alignment.
OK more or less understand it now. My scenario is not 2 or 3. Mine had damaged proxy data but was repaired and tested working at his end. It should have worked ok at my end without proxy alignment 'unless it was electronically removed from the BCM'. Well the unit shows no signs of being recognized so I'm assuming it was 'electronically removed' ? I merely unplugged/removed the unit after discovering I had a faulty unit.

It’s clear that you have not “electronically removed it from the BCM” as this would require a dealer visit using their Witech equipment or the use of MES to do so. So, the unit has either been repaired but the proxi data has been lost so needs realignment or the unit is still not working correctly.

It’s clear that you have not “electronically removed it from the BCM” as this would require a dealer visit using their Witech equipment or the use of MES to do so. So, the unit has either been repaired but the proxi data has been lost so needs realignment or the unit is still not working correctly.
That's what I was suspecting. I'll contact the repairer for more info'.

Back