Technical 2007 Ducato electrical problem

Currently reading:
Technical 2007 Ducato electrical problem

Tonybol

Hi, this is my first post on the forum.

We have a 2007 ducato based motorhome and have the following problem.

Drivers side indicators, wipers and windscreen washer all won’t turn off.
High beam will come on but can only be turned off by turning off the ignition.

The history up to this point is as follows:
Vehicle unused for 6 months.
Starter battery flat.
Used jump leads from another vehicle, which I’ve done a few times previously without any issue.
Vehicle started but windscreen washer, wipers and indicators stuck on.
Turned off engine and removed key.
Checked all wires I could find, including earth cables and found nothing obvious.
Disconnected battery and fitted a new one but issues persisted and main beam and central locking started to come on and off.

Called RAC

They arrived and diagnosed a faulty body control module.
Bought new module from fiat dealership.
RAC came back and fitted it.
Made no difference, issues persist except main beam no longer flashing and central locking ok.

Still unable to turn off indicators, can’t find a fuse or relay.
Removed fuses for wipers and washer motor.

Drove to local garage with hazard lights on, they looked at it for an hour and said they can’t do it.

RAC don’t want to know.

Can’t contact any mobile auto electricians.

Any ideas ?

Should have been leaving on a two week holiday 3 days ago….gutted.

If you have a multi meter probably worth checking the relays for wipers light ect see if it's getting a signal to switch them on

Try working the steering wheel/Collen adjustment back an forth a few times

It's probably a fault with the switch units and or clock spring as the lights wipers and indicators are all controlled by the switch unit around the wheel (assuming it's all one unit on this year of ducatto)

Thanks Chris, will try the steering column tomorrow, I have a multimeter for testing battery voltages, no idea how to test a relay but I’m sure google will tell me.

Have you double checked that a jumplead to bridge main under bonnet earths isnt helpful..??

Simple and quick test..

Rule out a rotted cable structure :)
Full disclosure…… I am an enthusiastic novice, other than basically looking for broken wires and loose connections etc I have no idea…..but I’m a quick learner.

Full disclosure…… I am an enthusiastic novice, other than basically looking for broken wires and loose connections etc I have no idea…..but I’m a quick learner.
I assumed the RAC man would’ve done all the “basic” checks that you guys are suggesting…..

So .. use a standard CrocClip
Booster : jumpstart cable

To 'Double-up' the Battery to Chassis, then Chassis to Engine - Gearbox
EARTH Circuit

The factory cable is @60 fine copper strands.. if salty water has got in there

Copper Cable turns to a GreenPaste..

That doesnt pass electrical current effectively (n)

You would HOPE..

But the times 'Board failure' has been diagnosed..only to be wiring issues...
Is well beyond a joke

I will add a link about the earth tests
(Car.. but same BIG EARTH CABLE potential for failure)
Thanks so much for all your help and any links would be priceless, I’ve been looking online but just get videos on how to jump start a car.

The “board failure” diagnosis cost me £240….and made no difference!

The nearest garage didn’t want to know.

The RAC have washed their hands of it.

It’s provisionally booked in another garage in 2 weeks time (£120+vat to diagnose).

Can’t get a mobile auto electrician for love nor money….most not even answering the phone.

Don’t mind paying for professional help, just can’t find anyone.

My wife is in bits, having planned this holiday for a long time.

I have had more sound advice on this forum in last 24 hours …… you guys are the best !

Earth strap, BCM, clock spring all seem to be in contention.

I’m an ex roofer (15 years) and now a plumber (20 years)… both of which are completely useless in this situation!!

Which part of the UK are you in ?

A friend had a VERY long and expensive ordeal in Oxfordshire.. with a car found on every estate in Britain....

Nevermind something 'unusual..'

Take your time to do the basics yourself..
:)

Charlie
The van is in a secure storage compound in Bolton, Lancashire……this is a very strap learning curve for me.
Better it happened in the compound than the highlands of Scotland (where we should’ve been heading).

Tony,

I have just scanned this thread, and while your problems are not identical, there are similarities to this thread, on the Out and About Live Motorhome Matters forum. Worth a read, if only to give a different slant on items mentioned earlier in this thread. At least that may help your understanding. In particular see the post and pictures provided by "John52", who I believe posts on this forum under a different name. However I do not consider it my business to unmask his dual identity.

You can edit things for @15 minutes ;-)

I know why 'strap' was at the front of your mind.. I take it you need to plan a mornings work and get over there to test things?

So.. does the van start ok..and most things function ok?

As Importantly. ..
Have you owned..and used.. it for over a year without niggles..???
We have owned it for 3 years, never had an issue.
Van starts ok.
Everything works apart from:
Drivers side indicators won’t turn off.
Wipers and windscreen washer won’t turn off.
High beam will turn on but not off unless ignition turned off.

High beam was flashing on and off of its own accord but this has now stopped.

Central locking was coming on and off of its own accord but this has now stopped and is working as it should.

Van was used regularly until recently when it was stood for 6 months.

Brand new battery fitted.

Van drives perfectly.

Pulled fuses for wipers and washer.

New BCM under bonnet fitted.

Taking a day out today to research and come up with a plan for back at the van tomorrow, things to check/try.

Tony,

I have just scanned this thread, and while your problems are not identical, there are similarities to this thread, on the Out and About Live Motorhome Matters forum. Worth a read, if only to give a different slant on items mentioned earlier in this thread. At least that may help your understanding. In particular see the post and pictures provided by "John52", who I believe posts on this forum under a different name. However I do not consider it my business to unmask his dual identity.
Yes, very similar, thanks

Just read latest post. I had assumed from the fact that a BCM was mentioned that the vehicle is an x250 model. However the BCM "under the bonnet" is mentioned as being changed. The BCM is located in the dashboard behind the fuses. Changing the BCM is expensive as it requires the keys coding to the BCM.

Tony, to avoid confusion please confirm that your vehicle is an x250. To check see V5C. VIN should have the format ZFA250xxxxxx.
(The earlier x244 was manufactured until mid 2006, and there are some 2007 x244 motorhomes on the road.)

The item under the bonnet that was changed would probably be the engine bay relay and fuse box. These have been known to cause problems when there is a history of water ingress, which can be a problem with the x250 model.

Just read latest post. I had assumed from the fact that a BCM was mentioned that the vehicle is an x250 model. However the BCM "under the bonnet" is mentioned as being changed. The BCM is located in the dashboard behind the fuses. Changing the BCM is expensive as it requires the keys coding to the BCM.

Tony, to avoid confusion please confirm that your vehicle is an x250. To check see V5C. VIN should have the format ZFA250xxxxxx.
(The earlier x244 was manufactured until mid 2006, and there are some 2007 x244 motorhomes on the road.)

The item under the bonnet that was changed would probably be the engine bay relay and fuse box. These have been known to cause problems when there is a history of water ingress, which can be a problem with the x250 model.
Hi, yes it is a 2007 x250 model
It was the RAC man who called it a BCM and it was under the bonnet.

I’ve no doubt you are correct.

I’ve been back to the van and tried all the Earth cables, everything still the same, had both headlights out and all wiring looks good although wet (all plugs dry).

Unless I’m mistaken, the only thing left to visually check is the wiring etc behind the steering wheel.

My gut feeling (based on not yet finding anything else obvious) is the “BCM” behind the fuse box in the cab, and by all accounts a very expensive job.

This is what was diagnosed and changed, see burn mark on underside

Attachments

• 03B2A241-0669-4292-B929-81F6A202CE08.jpeg
    03B2A241-0669-4292-B929-81F6A202CE08.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • A8615808-226B-4A2D-BBBB-FD03E8DD8BC5.jpeg
    A8615808-226B-4A2D-BBBB-FD03E8DD8BC5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Back