Technical Ducato 2007 starting problems

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2007 starting problems

Clementine123

Hello all

I have a 3.0 litre 160 2007 Ducato camper van with 105,000 miles on the clock. It has developed starting issues. From cold, it cranks OK but won't start first time. After several rotations, air bag warning lights reappear flashing.
Switch off and try again and it will start, but not instantly. Last year on a European trip, it only had issues starting from hot, but it always started eventually.
My local garage diagnosed a crankshaft position sensor fault and that has been replaced. When I got it back from the garage it started first time. Now it's back to the same old tricks. Any (helpful) suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks.

On reading your post, my first thought was camshaft (not crankshaft) sensor.

However adding in the airbag alarms, I am tempted to ask as to when the engine block earth strap was last changed.

On the x250 and later models these straps have a history of internal corrosion, which causes various issues.

A frequently reccomended elimination test, is to connect a jump lead between an engine lifting lug, and a sound chassis earth.

The attached photo was originally posted on the "Motorhome Fun" forum. Signs of overheating are obvious.

Attachments

• Fiat x250 Earth Strap.jpeg
    Fiat x250 Earth Strap.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 26
On reading your post, my first thought was camshaft (not crankshaft) sensor.

However adding in the airbag alarms, I am tempted to ask as to when the engine block earth strap was last changed.

On the x250 and later models these straps have a history of internal corrosion, which causes various issues.

A frequently reccomended elimination test, is to connect a jump lead between an engine lifting lug, and a sound chassis earth.

The attached photo was originally posted on the "Motorhome Fun" forum. Signs of overheating are obvious.
That's very useful advice, thanks.
I have fitted a secondary earth strap because I couldn't remove the original. I'll try the jump lead elimination as well.
I intend to fit a replacement camshaft sensor (not too tricky).
I assume there is no calibration involved and it's just a straight swap?

Update on the problem
I fitted a new crankshaft position sensor and this has cured the starting issue.
Thanks for the advice.

Back