Technical 2006 Panda cuts out whilst braking

Currently reading:
Technical 2006 Panda cuts out whilst braking

Kung Fu Panda Po

Hello all,

My 2006 FIAT Panda Dynamic currently has a problem where the engine cuts out. It cold starts fine. Drives fine to whatever destination. Starts fine again, but then starts cutting out on the return journey.
It seems to be doing it mostly when applying the brake, but it has also occured when beginning to move like when in traffic of at lights. Most of the time it catches itself again, occasionally with the power steering light remaining on afterwards. But some of the time it doesn't kick straight back in and may need a few turns of the key to get going again.
When it originally happened a couple of weeks ago, after the fifth time of it cutting out, it wouldn't start at all. No lights on the dash and not turning over. Luckily, I was in a supermarket car park at the time, and a good samaritan gave me a jump and I managed to get it back home. I had an auto-electrician come out to have a look at it, but of course it didn't show any of the issues I'd been having, and the only things that flagged up were battery related.
New battery fitted. Other than briefly seeing the power steering warning light on start up, it seemed to be working fine again. This was until yesterday, when it cut out again, on approach to a motorway on-ramp. Sat there, hazards on, with a queue of traffic behind me, trying to start it back up. It took several attempts but it did eventually come back to life. But it happened again, and again. Six more times in total before I made it home. Each time it cut out I was either slowing down, or moving off.
The auto-electrician is coming out again this week.

Any ideas? Anything I should point him in the direction of? There's a good chance none of the issues will happen when he's looking at it.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Fixed!

I pointed him in the direction, based on what we've checked. The problem was the contacts on that F23. Gave it a clean and tightened it up. Jobs a good'un.

Thank you for all your help @koalar you are a legend. And thank you to the others that replied.
Great while it's failing in such a dramatic way, it's fairly easy for an auto electrition to diagnose

I don't know how far you want to go yourself

My best guess sitting at home at this end

Is it's either in the blue area at the top

Fuse box in the engine bay

Or

Blue area at the bottom

The ignition switch

It's worth pulling out fuse F3 large 20Amp in the black fuse box and checking its legs aren't corroded, it's surprising just how often reseting a component fixes the problem

I am surprised we don't see more ignition switch failures, I have changed two in the three pandas I have owned, but neither had these symptoms

It's a pretty basic failure, these cars turn over even without most of the electronics plugged in

We can dignose with a basic test light or multi meter

Screenshot_20240129_230043.jpg
I wouldn't even know where to start with this one hahaha. Probably save it for the auto-electrician.

This cable from the battery top orange line

It bolt onto the chassis rail just out of sight bottom arrow

Try wiggling both ends with the ignition on, would be handy if you had a helper to watch the dash

IMG_20240130_154048.jpg

Great

We now know quite a bit

It's not an earth from the battery to the chassis, headlights work, plus it been jumpered

The body computer is alive with all it's power and grounds and fully functional

We can ignore the ECU as the car will crank with it disconnected

We need to check the block ground next

Let me find a photo of somewhere easy to place the lead

Back shortly

Great

It's not an earth, we can move on

We have power to indicators, headlights, dash, body computer, the ignition switch is at least partly working as the headlights work

The body computer is fired up controls the central locking see when a door is opened

So either we are missing a voltage at the ignition switch or the switch is faulty

I'd start by opening the fuse box and give each fuse and relay a firm push

The lid pulls off, there's a latch by the arrow

IMG_20240130_191810.jpg

Great

It's not an earth, we can move on

We have power to indicators, headlights, dash, body computer, the ignition switch is at least partly working as the headlights work

The body computer is fired up controls the central locking see when a door is opened

So either we are missing a voltage at the ignition switch or the switch is faulty

I'd start by opening the fuse box and give each fuse and relay a firm push

The lid pulls off, there's a latch by the arrow

View attachment 437489
Opened it up and made sure everything is in firm. Still nothing though.

Back