Technical 2006 Panda cuts out whilst braking

Currently reading:
Technical 2006 Panda cuts out whilst braking

Kung Fu Panda Po

Hello all,

My 2006 FIAT Panda Dynamic currently has a problem where the engine cuts out. It cold starts fine. Drives fine to whatever destination. Starts fine again, but then starts cutting out on the return journey.
It seems to be doing it mostly when applying the brake, but it has also occured when beginning to move like when in traffic of at lights. Most of the time it catches itself again, occasionally with the power steering light remaining on afterwards. But some of the time it doesn't kick straight back in and may need a few turns of the key to get going again.
When it originally happened a couple of weeks ago, after the fifth time of it cutting out, it wouldn't start at all. No lights on the dash and not turning over. Luckily, I was in a supermarket car park at the time, and a good samaritan gave me a jump and I managed to get it back home. I had an auto-electrician come out to have a look at it, but of course it didn't show any of the issues I'd been having, and the only things that flagged up were battery related.
New battery fitted. Other than briefly seeing the power steering warning light on start up, it seemed to be working fine again. This was until yesterday, when it cut out again, on approach to a motorway on-ramp. Sat there, hazards on, with a queue of traffic behind me, trying to start it back up. It took several attempts but it did eventually come back to life. But it happened again, and again. Six more times in total before I made it home. Each time it cut out I was either slowing down, or moving off.
The auto-electrician is coming out again this week.

Any ideas? Anything I should point him in the direction of? There's a good chance none of the issues will happen when he's looking at it.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Fixed!

I pointed him in the direction, based on what we've checked. The problem was the contacts on that F23. Gave it a clean and tightened it up. Jobs a good'un.

Thank you for all your help @koalar you are a legend. And thank you to the others that replied.
Most helpful

Matches up with the circuit diagram

These are the main areas we are concerned with

Screenshot_20240131_134853.jpg

The nut at the top

And the two fuses

Do you have a test light or multimeter

You should be able to swap these two over

It's safer to Flick the battery negative while you do this, it's a quick release

Make a note where each one is first its easy to make a mistake when there are blanks

Also a photo the contacts in the box might be useful a closeup might show any corrosion or spreading

IMG_20240131_135108.jpg

Cool well done we know the area of the fault

But not what caused it yet

It could be

The fuse, we need to swap them back,

The contacts in the fuse box

The contacts on the fuse

Or loose wiring under the fuse box

Because we have only touched a couple of thing it should narrow it down

Screenshot_20240131_144933.jpg

Last edited:
How long have you had the car

Has it ever misbehaved before

Looking at the 7.5A fuse above left hand side, the dings look very much like a pair of pliers have been here before

The contacts look a little wide to me, see what others think

How long have you had the car
I've had it around 13 years give or take.

Has it ever misbehaved before

It has had an issue with battery draining in the past but the exact source was never found. Hence the boot mechanism disconnect.

The contacts look a little wide to me, see what others think

Yea I thought they looked a little out of line compared to the rest.

Hi @koalar
Would it be possible for you to list the things we've checked for and ruled out please?
The auto-electrician is coming later so I want to give him as much info as possible. I tried to explain on the phone but I think I confused him haha

Back