Technical 2006 2.8JTD Which type/grade of oil.

Currently reading:
Technical 2006 2.8JTD Which type/grade of oil.

Davesport

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Out here downunder we can't even get the Fiat recommended oil as in the Selenia Turbo Diesel. Fiat Aust was saying at one stage to use Castrol Magnatec Diesel & they were going to import the Selenia stuff themselves, don't know whether that actually happened. I did use Magnatec Diesel on the first oil change but have since swapped to Urania (Selenia) Turbo LD 15W-40 which is what is recommended by Iveco for the same (their) 2.8 engine fitted to the Turbo Daily, I use the Turbo LD & change it more frequently & is still cheaper than Magnatec.
As the Selenia Turbo Diesel was not available the state Fiat distributor at the time was using Shell Ultra Diesel a complete 100% synthetic based oil - rather expensive - it could do 100,000K oil change intervals (of near non stop operation). But it is pointless me using these long life synthetic oils as it would be a waste considering we would lucky to do 7,000 ks a year. Even the Selenia Turbo Diesel would be a waste (if available) @ 30,000k oil change intervals as I have no doubt it would be costly as well. No doubt with your lovely climate a different viscosity would be needed. As long as the specs meet or exceed the Selenia Turbo Diesel any good quality oil should be OK. Take note of the ACEA & API ratings of the oil.

Attachments

• SeleniaTuboD.pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 286
  • SeleniaTurboDtc.pdf
    99.9 KB · Views: 123
  • UraniaTurboLD.pdf
    75.9 KB · Views: 202
Can anyone enlighten me as to the correct type & grade of oil I should be using ?

Hi Dave,
According to the FIAT manual SAE10W40-ACEA B3-API CD

According to the Iveco manual you have a (vastly different) choice of:
Urania Daily which is SAE 5W-30 fully synthetic
Urania LD 5 which is SAE 15W-40, ACEA E3/E5, API CF mineral based

Then theres citroen who recommend 5w-40 for the relay

The 5w oils are for improved economy (negligible), reduced wear at start up (allegedly) and very cold countries.

I have been advised by Fiat that in our climate to opt for the 10w-40 and more frequent changes.

Back