Technical 1.9 Mjet Turbo problems

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 Mjet Turbo problems

Benzsc1

I am still yet to fix my Mjet the first issue was a split boost hose followed by cutting out when too much throttle is applied along with excessive smoke grey with a blue tinge in there somewhere! The turbo pipe that split had trcaes of oil inside! I am thinking Blown turbo is makes a high pitch wistle too ah I am not happy :( anyway onwards and upwards can anyone tell me what type of turbo's these run I am sure they are VV turbos but hoping there is a genric model they use on the standard M Jets mine is a 57 plate actually its reg is EJ57OTK incase anyone can help at all? I am presuming my turbo's blown but before spending big I wanted to remove the turbo and have it tested

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
It's a Garrett Air Research VV turbo so check the vane actuator is working properly. Some oil is pretty common, the norm really, only if you have a pool of the stuff should you be concerned. It's fairly common for the GP MJet turbo to sound like a distant Police or Ambulance siren! Presuming you've already checked all the pipe-work & EGR / MAF etc?

Thanks for the response Ffoxy. TBH I have not yet checked the EGR or MAF I know seems silly me posting on the forum before checking but I am so tight on time some progress is better than none and believe me as you well know some of the advice you get on here is invaluable admittedley there is alot of rubbish floating about too! I just want to get some ideas where to start. The issues occurred when the silicone boost pipe split the one that fits between the turbo to the intercooler infront of the bock behind the rad! I administered a temp fix (I have previously posted about this but alas never had time to perform a fix) Since I patched it up whilts I waited for the correct pipe to turn up from Fiat I did drive the car gently it only managed five miles and since then it kangaroos down the road you cannort apply any load the turbo sounds like a missile travelling past your head at full chat and the exhaust is blowing grey smk with a blue tinge to it out the back. you can drive the car but very gently no turbo spool otherwise the engine just kanagroos and losses power.

Thanks for the response Ffoxy. TBH I have not yet checked the EGR or MAF I know seems silly me posting on the forum before checking but I am so tight on time some progress is better than none and believe me as you well know some of the advice you get on here is invaluable admittedley there is alot of rubbish floating about too! I just want to get some ideas where to start. The issues occurred when the silicone boost pipe split the one that fits between the turbo to the intercooler infront of the bock behind the rad! I administered a temp fix (I have previously posted about this but alas never had time to perform a fix) Since I patched it up whilts I waited for the correct pipe to turn up from Fiat I did drive the car gently it only managed five miles and since then it kangaroos down the road you cannort apply any load the turbo sounds like a missile travelling past your head at full chat and the exhaust is blowing grey smk with a blue tinge to it out the back. you can drive the car but very gently no turbo spool otherwise the engine just kanagroos and losses power.

I'd be inclined to fix the problem you know about properly first TBH then make a judgement call after that. Could be that the VV actuator is stuck in one position & it's over-fuelling making the turbo inefficient, although that turbo noise does sound worrying, I think the Garrett turbo is a T3 by the way...

Is an electronic actuator available as a separate component?

What are Sticky Vanes?

The vehicle can experience a problem with a lack of power (boost). Sometimes the engine management light appears and the car can drop into ‘limp mode’.
A common phrase used when describing this problem is ‘the turbo has sticky vanes’.

In the majority of cases the vehicle is running rich (fuelling issue) and the exhaust gases become very sooty.The sooty exhaust gases pass through the turbo and around the variable vanes leaving carbon deposits.

Try looking here

http://www.essexturbos.com/search/turbo_search/fiat

Fiat Grande Punto JTD 1.9L D M737AT.19Z (8v) 4 Cyl 06- G GT1749MV 767837-5001S 767837-5001S 55205475
Enquiry

Last edited:
Back