Technical Grande Punto 2009 1.9 P0481-13 Open Circuit

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto 2009 1.9 P0481-13 Open Circuit

eddyz1122

Hello all, long time reader, first time posting.

2009 Fiat Grande Punto 1.9 JTD. Fault code P0481-13, car in limp mode and EML on. The car has dual radiator fans, 2 resistors and relays mounted to the fan shroud and 2 relays in the engine fuse box.
On the diagnostic software MES doing actuation's:
Fan speed 1, works. Both fans run at low speed.
Fan speed 2, does nothing. (Suspect the car doesn't have this function?)
Fan speed 3, Fan 1 runs at full speed and Fan 2 does nothing.

Ive tried looking for the wiring diagrams relating to this, but every diagram Ive found shows 3 relays in the engine bay fuse box. This car only has 2 relays and its not like the relays been taken out, the wiring simply doesn't exist for the third relay in the socket. He's 2 example wiring diagrams from completely different places. In this example, the relay marked "T20" doesn't exist, so diagnosing the faults a bit difficult.

1704754030249.png

1704754156653.png

Thanks in advance.
Edit: Heres the fault shown in MES. When the engines on the description changes to "Dashboard warning light WAS activated for this fault".
1704796393853.png

Last edited:
Hi, use search function "Code P0481 on Doblo 1.3 multijet"
Not a grande punto but still may be helpful.
Cheers
Jack

Hi, use search function "Code P0481 on Doblo 1.3 multijet"
Not a grande punto but still may be helpful.
Cheers
Jack
Thanks Jack, i did find that post and did find it insightful. I was optimistic about checking wiring from the ECU plug to the fusebox and i do suspect thats where my fault is. But i cant find the correct wiring diagram that matches up with this car, so its hard to see what it is "supposed" to be like.

Update. Small red and white wire going between the 2 relays on the radiator have continuity. However the wires from each relay join up to become 1 wire near the main engine fuse box. This single red and white wire (presumably the trigger wire) then goes into the bottom of the main fusebox. There is NO continuity at this factory join/crimp.

Will be digging through my box of spare wiring looms to see if i have a length of red and white wire i can use to repair this. Will report back soon.

Attachments

• 20240109_165042.mp4
    6.4 MB
  • 20240109_152324.mp4
    14.7 MB
Update, that was the fault. The car is now fixed. I have spliced a wire in place of the factory crimp. Put the car back together, cleared the fault code and started the engine. All is now well.

Thanks Fiat and the rest of the internet for the poor wiring diagrams and lack of documentation. Standard really.

Back