Technical 1.2 Fiat 500 oil pump noise?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 Fiat 500 oil pump noise?

The top of the pin is tapered, so probably about right, it is snug when fully seated
I didn't spot that the casting had fractured.. Then realising the pin had dropped with the M8 Bolt still in place I realised there was a failure of the pinch arrangement

As others said.. Probably from overtorqueing that bolt 😒

Bloody car.
I've fixed the ball joint, it just hadn't been pushed through the hub far enough, nothing is cracked.
PXL_20230930_124949468.jpg
The monkey mashed the pinch bolt though!PXL_20230930_103538088.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230930_103613908.jpg
    PXL_20230930_103613908.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
There was another loose bolt on the sub frame the has to be removed to replace the wishbone so on top of the pinch bolt being mullered I got paranoid and removed everything just to check all the bolts were tight. It was ok in the end but it did mean removing the front bumper again :mad:

Anyone know where I can get some brake pad pin clips from?
They're the funny shaped ones not R clips I think.

That does look really strange don't you think? Look at the first picture, specifically the pin itself. See the "waisted" groove which is just emerging from the hole in the upright? Usually you can't get it that far out without removing the pinch bolt. Also, looking at the second picture, on the Pandas anyway, the top of the pin will be a snug fit in the hole. This one looks like the hole is about twice as big as the pin - is that normal on the 500? For sure the pin shouldn't be "cocked off" to the one side like this one is. Not going to be an "easy fix" methinks?
I think the issue is that the pin hasn't been fully reinserted after (I presume) the previously perished boot was replaced. That groove on the pin shouldn't be visible, but the very top few millimeters of the bolt should be visible protruding from the pinch/clasp bit on the wheel side (these are professional, technical terms you realise).
The bodged metal clip not properly closing off the top of the boot is a fair pig's ear of a job too.
Apologies if I've entirely missed the point.

I think the issue is that the pin hasn't been fully reinserted after (I presume) the previously perished boot was replaced. That groove on the pin shouldn't be visible, but the very top few millimeters of the bolt should be visible protruding from the pinch/clasp bit on the wheel side (these are professional, technical terms you realise).
The bodged metal clip not properly closing off the top of the boot is a fair pig's ear of a job too.
Absolutely no apologies needed. It's this sort of post which I always find interesting. Also very difficult often to judge and asses the situation from pictures alone when, if you could see it in the flesh, it would be immediately apparent what's up. Just so glad for you that the resolution didn't involve lots of cash!

@gadb you're correct in that the pin wasn't fully inserted through the hub, the bolt was then hammered through which is why the threads are mashed. It was a whole new wishbone with the ball joint already fitted by the look of it.
The clip on the boot was me prodding it about before I took the photos :LOL: that went back on easy enough.

@gadb you're correct in that the pin wasn't fully inserted through the hub, the bolt was then hammered through which is why the threads are mashed. It was a whole new wishbone with the ball joint already fitted by the look of it.
The clip on the boot was me prodding it about before I took the photos :LOL: that went back on easy enough.
Seems like a fairly dangerous state for someone to have left the car in. Good thing you spotted it. I had an advisory on my MOT regarding a perished boot, which I replaced although I'm wishing I'd used one of those screw type splitters rather than a pickle fork (which deformed the metal where I'd applied the leverage). Fortunately for me my ball joint had no play in it that I could discern so I didn't put a new wishbone in. I may live to regret that, I'm not sure. Was about 6 months ago and no problems so far. I think the pinch bolt is supposed to be a one-time-use thing according to the manual. It didn't say anything about not hammering the threads off it though, so maybe this is ok ;)

Last edited:
This is one of the clips I took off the caliper. I can't find any to match it.
20231002_195600.jpg

Back