Technical Fiat 500 1.2 petrol 2017 with 41000km

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.2 petrol 2017 with 41000km

Ayyoub

Dear members

I Have buyed a Fiat 500 1.2 petrol 2017 with 41000 km. Fiat dealer says timing belt needs to change every 6 years or 120.000km. But because of the low mileage 41000km. Can i leave it like that or is it dangerous that it can snap.

Any ideas?
Thanks Alot

The belt will deteriorate over time as much as it will wear, that’s why they say one or the other, whichever is sooner. I wouldn’t risk it on a car of that age

Agreed !-the belt composite breaks down with age and in a low mileage car with infrequent use the belt will become less flexible and more prone to breakage! this is why there is a six year interval!- the mileage figure is for the opposite reason that in use the belt heat cycles, IE- heats up and cools down!- over time this will make it stretch until the tensioner can no longer cope with the chance of a big blow up if it slips on the pulleys, the age /mileage figure as stated is the best compromise to ensure the life of your engine!.

Low mileage does not mean just because your has not been used as much as some, that you can extend the life of the parts that are vital to its longevity!- same as if your car had and oil change then was not used for 5 years ,over that time the oil breaks down and collects contaminants and water from the atmosphere!- thats why if you buy a car that has been unused for a long time you should change the oil regardless of how "Clean" it might look!.

Back