General Uno turbo phase 2 engine conversion questions

Currently reading:
General Uno turbo phase 2 engine conversion questions

giles2005

Hi there,

Iv sourced an uno turbo phase 2 engine 1.4ie im finding little info on fitting this engine to the x19. lots of info on the early uno turbo engine.

Basically im after any info regards to problems i will have to over come and parts i will need to source.

the engine will come with pretty much everything even gearbox i understand that the gearbox will not fit as the gear linkage is on the top on the later uno turbo engines.
Will i be ok to use the x19 standard 5 speed box i know first gear will be a touch short but i can live with that. Strength wise im not chasing mega power will be happy with the standard boost so around 110bhp, will the standard gearbox be able to coupe with this.

Any advice here would be great.

Hi Giles

This is not my area as I haven't done an uno turbo conversion. But from what I have read I think the 'internals' of the turbo gearbox can be fitted into the casing of the original x1/9 box.

Some have fitted cable gear change to their x1/9s to utilise the top change box.

There are some detailed write ups of the uno turbo conversion on line.

You are lucky if you have an x1/9 box with good synchromesh. They are a little weak in that department...

I'm in the same boat as purf, I know very little about these conversions.
Bit I have heard that the reason the mk2 engine is less popular is that this set up is taller than the mk1 uno turbo set up and can foul the X19 engine lid.

My 1.6 tipo engine doesn't foul the bonnet but it could be the turbo inlet manifold?

I couldn't fit the tipo air filter housing due to space.

No problem - just get one of these snorkels:

x19_abarth_6.jpg

and build a custom engine cover as the original ones just rust anyway! I only painted mine 9 months ago and it already needs doing again!

Back