Tuning X1/9 1300 uno turbo head query (for NA)

Currently reading:
Tuning X1/9 1300 uno turbo head query (for NA)

Jon Doe

I have a standard x1/9 1500 engine.

Sitting around 'spare' I have a ported, polished uno turbo mk1 head with a fast road cam, from Avanti motorsport.

I want to go down the bike carbs route, I know some questions have been posted with turbo people wanting to get bigger blocks but this is for a NA setup...

Would the Avanti head have any benefits and would it be compatible?

Thanks. Jon

I would find out what, exactly, has been done to it.

If Frank & co did their jobs properly and ported the head correctly then it will be fine as a fast road head but you'll need a different camshaft to get the most out of it. Odds are Frank will have fitted a stock 1500 euro camshaft...

How about the compatability?

Can I just go and 'bolt it on' ?

You really, really, shouldn't just bolt anything on.

You could do irreparable damage.

Chances are that there's some record of that head, but failing that, you need to dry assemble it, check deck heights, check the cam timing and lift, etc. check everything you can.

If you're not prepared (or able) to do that, I'd run the stock engine.

I am really asking about oil ways, bolt pattern and how the turbo engine ends up with less compression.

So is what I am actually switching the same except with head work= more flow or is it that I am going to end up with a different compression ratio and wipe away a lot of the gains?

If the bolt pattern matches (all 14 bolts) then you're fine. The heads are interchangeable.

The 1500 engine is non-interference so you should be able to fit it without problem but only if the hasn't been heavily skimmed and/or the valve lift increased.

Back