General Fiat X1/9 racing ???

Currently reading:
General Fiat X1/9 racing ???

Squadracorse

I am looking for people who are racing with the Fiat X1/9.
I am planning so buy this car because of the rearwheeldrive, it's a compact car so not very heavy and I have a lot off Fiat Uno Turbo engines so a lot of power with only 1299cc!

So if somebody has experience with this please help me[^] building this fine car!

Are there people who have build competition roll bars and maybe have pictures of it?[8)]

Remaining with kind regards, JC

Fiat Uno Crosser

Hello!
I am am going to buy a Fiat x1/9 tomorrow.
My plan is to put my uno T engine with about 200hp (2bar boost) in.
It´s uniballs all oround on this car and the enginemounts is for a lancia 2l engine.My car will be finished next year I hope..

When I was at the track last year I saw this car and I fell in love..:) www.x19.nu

on the left side klick on "bilder" then click on "x1/9 byggd för banracing"

/Jens

I have X1/9 with Uno turbo engine.Very nice car:)
Photos on page photos.yahoo.com/staskax19
Staska
X1/9 turbo
Lithuania

Hello Jens,

Is it possible you are active also on UnoTurboNutters?
The problem is, I have a new computer and cannot find the Nutters forum again [:(!], so maybe you can help me![?]

Regards, JC [8)]

Fiat Uno Crosser

Hi Just seen the picture of the Silver X19 banracing car. I'm afraid I cannot speak the language. Could I ask if any of you are able to tell me if the kit on the car is available to buy. I have an X19 that I am about to rebuild and this is by far the best kit I have ever seen and would love to build the car this way.
I really hope one of you can help.
Regards, Stu.

You should check out the link below and order a copy of
"Project X1/9, The complete guide to racing preparation of the Fiat X1/9" I don't see that Amazon carries it anymore. When I was racing I wore out one copy and ordered another. PBS engineering, who wrote the book (link below) carries the SERIOUS racing parts.

http://www.pbseng.com/FIATX-19.html

I prepare an X19 for racing in Australia. At the moment its 1500cc and four speed... however come the end of the year, we will be fitting a Lancia 2000 engine and gearbox (beta type) and turbocharging it. Here are a few pics of the car in its current state.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

SteveC

Thanks guys for the info. That's a really good help. Steve that's one extreme X19. Can I ask what size wheels you have on the car. Also did you have to widen the track of the car to fill the arches.? I know to were I can get my hands on a Supercharged volumax engine and box. Any thoughts on putting it in.

Hey Steve,
Very pretty car! I have to admit it even looks a bit nicer than mine although I used the same wide fenders. Mine is white with dark red around the beltline. I'm puzzled about the Sports Car Club of America stickers on it though since you said you are racing in Australia I think. Also curious what class you will run in with a Lancia 2L turbocharged engine?
Mark

The car came from the USA.... was owned by Dave Boling until about 4 months ago, another guy built it, and sold it to him, but his name escapes me at the moment.

We just havent taken the SCCA stickers off... I kinda like them, and while its still in "FP" (class that it was raced as in the states)guise, just reminds everyone why it has the components that it has...and Yes, I'm in Australia, it worked out cheaper to buy a whole car and import it down under, than what it would have been to buy all the good bits this car has on it....

Currently it has the sohc engine, and is classed as an "(open top) sports car"... it will race in a class with porches, lotus super 7's etc....the regulations permit pretty much open slather to modifications...and a maximum engine capacity of 6litres!!!

If the car had steel fenders, it could race in it's current specification as a 'marque sports car' this class has restrictions on engine type/capacity/forced induction etc...

To be competitive in the 'sports car' class, it needs a considerable boost in power, and the addition of some aerodynamic aids, but that will all come with time, at the moment we are getting the chassis and suspension sorted, and will go for more power with the 2litre Lancia engine/transmission with the addition of a turbocharger.

Wheels are 6 x 13 panasports... and the track has been widened by alloy spacers, (15mm thick) and the offset of the wheels. The car is about 3 inches lower than standard, has coil overs and externally adjustable konis all round.

SteveC

I'm sure you know the X1/9 is an incredible handling race car with
only a bit of suspension work but against 6L engine competition it
could be depressing (pre-turbo)if they don't have a huge weight/carburation penalty. I do remember one weekend running with a local sanctioning
group that allowed all sorts of cars. There was a short track camaro
with probably about 6L running in my group. Of course he was set up to
optimally turn only one direction and almost had to stop for turns in
the other direction. He got REALLY frustrated to pull so far ahead of
me on the straight and have me repass in every other turn. My home track is 1.7 miles and 10 turns so it made for an amusing day.
I was thinking with enough technology into the turbo you might
get enough power out of the 1.5L engine. PBS used to offer a 4 valve head for the X1/9 and I remember F1 ( tons of money I know ) used to
get incredible power out of 1.5L.
Mark

Trouble with turbocharging the sohc would be the gearbox..... sure there are some uno's about with close to 250hp from 1.3 and 1.4 litres.... but when you floor an UnoT... you dont get instant hookup like you do with an X19... and enough Uno's blow the diff carriers to pieces even with the inherent wheelspin...

Lancia Beta gearbox is quite indestructible by comparison.

My dad built an UnoT with Lancia 2000 and Turbo power for racing, and the car was surprisingly fast, winning quite a few championships here in Western Australia... the plan is to use basically the same powerplant in the rear of the X19, and with the better aerodynamics, weight distribution and handling of the X19, it should be a rocketship.

The Uno race car was a different class car (raced as a 'street car") using radial tyres (control tyre type) but it too ran against cars up to 6litres and turbocharged rotaries etc... and even with its less than perfect chassis dynamics (about 80% weight over the front wheels, total weight of car about 720kg) would give these cars a good run.

SteveC

I own a 1979 fiat x19. i bought the car with a single overhead 1500cc engine it and running carburated. Now i use a dual overhead 2000cc fuel injected engine. The best part of the x19 is the rack and pinion steering although stock the cars are not known for their speed. However i have managed to squeeze a good bit of power out of mine. Its a very nice car. if anyone wants pics just ask and i will post some. By the way, you get all this from a 15 year old guy, myself.

Richard

Re: Fiat X1/9 racing

Saturday 7th August... we had to present the car for 'document check' then scrutineering at 8.15am.... which meant leaving Gordon's place by 7am...early start, but the car was loaded and ready to go.

Practice at 10.20am was a disaster... Gordon managed only one and a half laps (didn't even post a time) and the gearbox went "bang" whilst in 4th gear on the main straight

Back in the pits, Gordon was disappointed thinking that the weekend had ended very early... I offered the use of my "spare" x19 4 speed g/box for the two races on Sunday... so we went home, and had the replacement fitted by dinnertime.

My opinion is ... "at least a DNS is better than a DNF, it could have happened in a race" ... unlucky though, we must have done about 60 to 70 laps of the circuit during testing, and then the gearbox breaks on the 2nd lap of qualifying!

Sundays races we started from the rear of grid....and unfortunately thats where we stayed the car in its current configuration simply isnt fast enough to compete with the other car in it's class. It corners very well, and can keep up in the twisty parts, but on the straight (despite getting nearly 8000 in 4th) is just blown away by everything on the track

we lapped at around 71 seconds......

So we are at a crossroads...

I dont think spending any time/effort/money developing the sohc engine is worth it.... even if we squeezed more power from it, the best we could hope for is about a 67/68 second lap, which would still have us at the ROF...

we can fit the twin cam engine, gearbox etc and run naturally aspirated, or simply go straight to the turbo powerplant.... currently we are pondering the options......

My vote is to spend a few meetings running the car as a 2000 n/a sports car, changing up to 15 inch wheels/tyres and seeing how the chassis handles these changes before going turbo. I think we could get a 65 second lap from the car in Na form... See my new thread re twin cam conversion........

SteveC

Re: Fiat X1/9 twin cam turbo

Gordon and I have been discussing the specifications of the racerX as we go about getting the twin cam mounted into the chassis. So far the installation has been easy, as we are using the mountings I made for my Xroad car (which is awaiting paint, and not being used at the moment).

We fitted the dummy engine/gearbox into the car after cutting the left hand chassis to clear the gearbox, and took some pictures. Gear linkage was a bit more troublesome, as the springy feeling, which I thought was being caused by movement of the engine/transmission, was still there after mounting the engine more stiffly…. I traced it to the way I have made the linkage for the forward/backwards plane, so a redesign is underway, and I’ll have some pics of mk2 in a couple of weeks…. (the part of the shifter mechanism that handles the left/right movement of the gear lever works just fine )

Currently engine specs are still to be finalised, but he basics are:

Turbocharged 8V 2000. (Conventional flow) Lancia block, machined to accept 12mm x 1.25 bolts, Copper head gasket, Forged pistons with dished crown (bowl volume/shape to be determined) static c/r 7.5:1, Fiat con rods modified to accept Chevrolet small journal big end bearings (as there are superior material types available compared to what is available for Fiat journal sizes), crankshaft cut down to 14kg (from around 16.5). I want to use a very light flywheel, the clutch will need to be a true racing triple plate item. Oiling by (baffled) wet sump, remote oil filter, oil cooler, fresh oil return to main oil gallery (on exhaust side of engine). Head configuration (ports/valves) and cams are still undecided.

Turbo will likely be a T04B, sized as per my Dad ran on his turbo race cars, which is pretty huge, the turbine housing on the Uno is stamped 1.52, and run a separate (cockpit adjustable) external waste-gate.

I’ve been doing a bit of research on turbo exhaust manifolding recently, checking out several different Fiat/Lancia standard turbo exhaust manifolds (Thema8v/Integrale8V/Integrale16V) as well as several that my dad made for his UnoT and his 131 Abarth. It seems there is another entire branch of “black” science with this part of the setup…..

I’m still undecided on the final design, as often it seems that what looks great doesn’t work very well, (as in the amount and timing of boost) but am leaning towards a split entry turbine housing and routing the piping from cylinders 1 and 4 to one side and 2 and 3 to the other…. The successful exhaust manifold designs (especially for serious boost applications) I have seen pay careful attention to minimising the amount of reversion that can occur between cylinders by keeping the exhaust flowing towards the turbo, so separating the pulses by 180 degrees should ensure that one cylinder has finished it cycle before its opposite number gets to open its exhaust valve.

Most likely we will start with a draw thru system, but instead of a carburettor like my dad’s setup, we will use a single (two barrel 45mm) FI throttle body mounted ahead of the turbo. With injection we can have far more precise control of the fuel supply to the engine, and if we get a throttle body that can also be used in blow thru application, then we can eventually shift the injection to the other side of the compressor and run twin throttle bodies atop a std Fiat down draft manifold. No inter-cooling is planned to begin with.

Along with the improvements to the power-plant, there also improvements planned for the brakes and suspension.

Currently with the brakes the thinking is 284 x 22mm (46403088) vented discs at the front (from a Fiat/Alfa) and calipers/pads from the Fiat20v coupe (4spot Brembos).We can get these discs locally (in Australia)for $145 each and have them slotted for another $20

At the rear would be 257 x 20 vented discs from Lancia Integrale/Fiat Croma turbo (82433860) with Fiat Uno turbo front calipers/pads at the rear. I have a few discs already, but these can also be found locally for around $125 each

The car already has stainless braided flexible brake lines, Tilton inline bias valve (in rear circuit), and tandem brake master cylinders (3/4” bore currently but we have a pair of 7/8” bore m/cylinders if needed) with adjustable balance bar (ala PBS X19 book)

We are also getting into reducing the weight of the chassis some more, as most of the other improvements also increase the weight of the vehicle. I popped the gearboxes on the scales over the weekend, an X1/9 4 speed gearbox is 30kg, the Lancia 5 speed is 50kg …. So that’s 20kg’s in just that one component.

I suggested getting rid of the tunnel and water pipes from under the car, to save some weight, increase our ground clearance, and make the floor more flat. Gordon was happy to pass me the angle grinder but I left that job for next time, its high on the list.
We will re route the cooling pipes through the cabin, maybe even getting some made in aluminium tubing, we also plan to duct the hot air out of the radiator thru the bonnet, rather than under the car.

Gordon has already removed sections of the floor on the RH side, leaving the chassis sections, but removing the steel floor, which will be replaced with aluminium sheet. Long term, we plan to make the underside of the car very flat, to try and maximise the X19’s aerodynamics.

Also on the drawing board is a change to much larger wheels and tyres. Gordon already has some 16 x 7 rims, (for wets) and wants to get the rims that were on the racing UnoT when it ran slick tyres, some very nice Simmons 16 x 9’s! We are also planning on repositioning the suspension mounting points to ensure the lower control arms are absolutely level to the ground (front and rear), not radically (as in the X19 PBS book), as I’m figuring the change needed at less than 12mm (1/2inch).

I'll be back in Perth in a couple of weeks for the next round of work, more pics to come

SteveC

Attachments

• 82433860discCromaDelta.jpg
    82433860discCromaDelta.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 73
  • 46403088disc.jpg
    46403088disc.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 61
  • chassiscut.jpg
    chassiscut.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 108
  • lowermounta.JPG
    lowermounta.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 92
  • lowermountb.JPG
    lowermountb.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 111
  • lowersupport.jpg
    lowersupport.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 107
  • sidemount.JPG
    sidemount.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 100
  • topmount.JPG
    topmount.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 100
  • topview3.JPG
    topview3.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 92
  • UnoT2000.jpg
    UnoT2000.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 92
  • UnoT2000a.jpg
    UnoT2000a.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 94
Bit late to this thread by the looks of things but I have been racing an X1/9 for the last few years with a modicum of success.

Originally I used a 1300 engine but this was short lived (blew up in a spectacular fashion) and since then I've used the MkI Uno Turbo engine running at about 150bhp.

The car was pretty much destroyed last year in an accident and I am still rebuilding it from scratch with a new engine. The car is very nearly finished and should put more than a few of my competitors to shame.

The test engine was recently dyno'd with significantly more than the proposed 250bhp I asked for. The chassis is now very lightweight thanks to a very strong cage (thanks to Rollcentre), spaceframing and grp panels. Total expected weight is in the region of 600kg (thats over 400bhp per tonne for those that don't want to do the maths).

Back