Technical 85 Bertone X19 Start Issue

Currently reading:
Technical 85 Bertone X19 Start Issue

mtblan0

Greetings, just need some suggestions on a new problem. Sometimes when I try to start the car nothing happens. No clicking, whirring, etc... The car powers fine (lights, guages, etc). Battery is actually only about 1 month old. Sometimes I simply try a second time to turn in over and it starts and runs great. Sometimes it has taken up to the 4th try? If the starter was the issue would I get some noise (any noise)? Perhaps an ignition problem at the steering column? Thanks.

Its a bit of a headache but you could try dismantling the column switch and just turning the actual switch at the back (no need for a key) and see if that works every time. You also have the option to hotwire it from there and see if that also works. It does sound very much like the switch itself is at fault - just the last contact position.

Try checking the wire that connects to the spade terminal on the solenoid. This happened to mine, it started fine then suddenly nothing from the starter. This wire was loose, just barely touching the terminal. Good luck!

Does it get worse when the engine is warm?
Check that your battery's terminals are clean and tight, clean up your battery's earth connection, clean up and tighten the earth strap between the gearbox and body and clean up the red wire's connection to the fuse box... It worked for me!

Back