Technical Issues with my 1985 x1/9

Currently reading:
Technical Issues with my 1985 x1/9

Alex1985

Hi all.

I recently bought an X1/9, loved the look feel and the fact that it was a drivers car. Drove it from Bolton to Leeds no problems what so ever, however recently I been having issues running the car. It starts fine in the morning go to drive it to work and within 5mins of driving it cuts out. I go to start it and it starts fine but when i go to accelerate it either dies or accelerates for a bit then dies. This happens for about another 5mins then works fine.

I thought that I may have some c**p in my carbs so I booked it into the garage for a full service. Picked it up drove fine yesterday and last night then the same thing this morning then this evening.

Really need some advice as its killing me. Also is the carb fan meant to run when the car is parked up?

Cheers

Alex

The crap in carb is an accurate diagnosis - it certainly sounds like that is what the problem is but without cleaning out everything (including the tank) and fitting a filter inline it is unlikely that you can say for sure that it won't ever happen again. That is not to say it is the only possibility, it could just as easily be a wiring fault on the ignition. Strangely both problems tend to result in poor running rather than the engine cutting out but it is possible to behave as described.

The best bet in sorting it out is to get the carb thoroughly cleaned out and make sure a decent inline fuel filter is fitted between the pump and the carb. The pickup in the tank is supposed to have a filter on it as well but these wear out (somehow) and it is very easy to get debris in the tank. It is also quite possible that the fuel pipes themselves are the source of the debris and it is seriously worth considering replacing all of them.

The carb fan is free to run whenever the engine bay is hot enough - most of its intended job is when the engine stops and the engine bay heats up. It doesn't really need to do much while the engine is running...

Thanks. Carbs off this weekend then and look for the c**p. Kinda hope it is that because the electrics and being intermitant are not a job I fancy approaching.

Cheers

Alex

So I think that I have diagnosed the problem.... (think) My carbs seem to be clear and the fuel filter and pipes look fine too. My ignition however doesn't. At some point the car has had the original condenser removed and replace with an electrical one.

Now when the car runs at night I have no problems and I think that it is due to the temperature, cool air. But during the day (to and from work)
its hotter. After running the car this electric ignition block gets burning hot and is even starting to melt the plastic.

Does this sound like a feasible idea/diagnoses?

What cause of action should I take? I need help!?!

Cheers

Alex

if you can afford it, go full electronic ignition. If they've fitted one of them semi-electronic jobs it may be the source of the problem. but to make sure just chuck a new condenser in to see if the running improves.

Back