Technical Problem with lock to engine bay lid

Currently reading:
Technical Problem with lock to engine bay lid

vale of uscon

Hello,

can anyone help?
The cable link to the lock for the engine bay lid on my X1/9 has broken. Does anyone know how to unlock the lid?

Thanks

Simon

You have two options

1: open the luggage area and look for a small plastic ring with a cable attached - usually tucked under the carpet on the lhs of the compartment in the raised area. This is your backup release cable, give it a pull and the engine bay cover should pop. Sadly these backup cables are not very reliable and don't always work assuming that is even still there to start with. There should be another cable in the engine bay for releasing the luggage bay but the same problem applies.

2: find a rod with a hook on the end and use it to pull the lock from under the bottom of the car. It is possible but not easy. Just be glad that it isn't the luggage bay cable that is snapped!

I managed to open mine from underneath the car. Just be careful about the cables and pipe work. Tip for whats it worth, I did a back up one for the boot (luggage bay) into the engine bay, as the original broke, and had to cut into the bodywork behind the number plate to get to the lock. Good luck.

Back