Technical rear fog light

Currently reading:
Technical rear fog light

shaun

Established member
Hi
Is it possible and legal to put a fog lamp in one of the reverse lights as i do not want a fog lamp on the back panel

Thanks Shaun

Hi I have an MR2 import from Japan and that has the been modified so that the fog light is built into the standard rear lights, it has never caused a problem for the MOT.

Hi

Any ideal how to go about making one of the reverse light lenses red.I think i need some kind or red transparent tape

Any help thanks

Most motor spares shops should sell lens repair tape - normally comes as clear, amber or red depending on the type of lens you need to repair.

Not sure it will give you the results you hope for as I think you'll find it hard to get it consistent.

You could use a red LED bulb of the correct equivalent rating (21 W), then you could leave the lens clear. The rear fog light should have a reflector bowl to focus the light into a rear facing beam. I'm not sure if the reversing lights have reflectors.

They all have reflectors regardless of the lens on the outside.

An LED bulb wouldn't really use the reflector though as they are highly directional to start with, what they normally need is a diffuser to increase the viewing angle.

If you look closely at the LED bulbs you will see they are normally made from several LEDs set at different angles to replicate the natural diffusion of a candescent bulb.

Personally, I prefer the symmetry of the rear lights as they are and the excellent rearwards light it gives you (esp backing into a tight garage) if I were you get a bog standard halfrauds one OR check out some of the flatter MX5 esk LED versions that can mount direct to the bumper. Mount them central. One light in the centre looks 10x better than one stuck on the right or both sides. IMO.

!BZB9jQw!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKiIEjlLmWN(BBKks(PFLO!~~_12.JPG

Last edited:
Pretty sure (though fine if someone corrects me) you only need a single reverse light if there is one fitted to satisfy MoT so free to amend the other to what you need as long as it conforms to standard......

I am in the middle of putting corner bumpers on the car and thought that it would nicer putting a fog light in the reverse light

Pretty sure (though fine if someone corrects me) you only need a single reverse light if there is one fitted to satisfy MoT so free to amend the other to what you need as long as it conforms to standard......

Yes you are right(y)

To OP: only one reverse and one rear fog are required legally, if i remember correctly the fog has to be on a particular side but not sure which, logic says drivers side but cannot guarantee.

If you can't find any info i can check my S90 as i now that it only has a fog on one side and that's factory

Back