Technical Misfire

Currently reading:
Technical Misfire

I'd be checking the electricals first, starting with the dizzy rotor and cap - make sure all the surfaces are clean.

Then I would change the ignition leads around to eliminate a bung lead.

Then the same with spark plugs.

After that you want to be checking the compression on each cylinder - if it is none of the above then I would hazard that the compression will be down on that cylinder, which means broken rings or a burnt valve.....

Always start with the cheapest to fix items...:D

Well, who guessed the wrong air/fuel mix when the second throttle opened??

Thats what is was, fixed now, just a couple of screws tightened (y)

Now to sort out the reason why I have no clutch...surfaced on Sunday :chin:

If the am is moving that much then either the arm has broken or the clutch has broken - either way it is a gearbox out job

Hang on, it could be just the clutch sticking on rusted splines or surface-rusted to the flywheel. This is likely if the engine/gearbox was washed and then the car sat overnight. I assume the pedal feels fairly normal - or stiffer than usual?

Select fourth gear, hold down clutch pedal, apply brakes and start the engine. Hopefully the clutch will pop free.

I'm sure jimbro will have used this technique on some cars at some stage... ;)

This thread seems to be a quick-draw shootout, and I may be wrong. But, surely worth a try. Otherwise, yeah, gearbox out.

-Alex

Last edited:
Bizarrely I've only ever once had a clutch fail on me and in that instance it basically exploded so I never had the chance to try anything else ;)

It isn't unheard of for the clutch to get stuck like this but equally it is pretty rare.

If it is in daily use the spline never gets the chance to rust up enough however it is possible for the clutch to stick in other ways.

Hi bludvl
I have what seems like a similar problem to your misfire.
Car idles and revs fine up to 4k and then it's like a rev limiter kicks in - lumpy and "misses" under load.
So far I've changed the following - all to no avail:
Carb (from another car which was running fine when stripped)
Leads (from same car as above)
Points (new)
Dizzy cap (new)
Rotor arm (new)
Plugs (new)
Condensor (not new but the Factors didn't have one)

What exactly did you tighten?

Cheers

What he said previously is right. My clutch on my fiat was working perfectly fine until it got stuck in third gear. i tried everything possible, but when i checked out the gear box, the gears were rusted probably from sitting for a while. after some sanding down and tons a grease and oil, it couldnt shift any better.

Hi bludvl
I have what seems like a similar problem to your misfire.
Car idles and revs fine up to 4k and then it's like a rev limiter kicks in - lumpy and "misses" under load.
So far I've changed the following - all to no avail:
Carb (from another car which was running fine when stripped)
Leads (from same car as above)
Points (new)
Dizzy cap (new)
Rotor arm (new)
Plugs (new)
Condensor (not new but the Factors didn't have one)

What exactly did you tighten?

Cheers
Hi Boxer.

It was the two mixture screws inbetween the Carby throats, but if you have replaced the carby, then it isn't likely to be the same problem. I can get photos for you if that will help you.

Cheers,

Mike

DjPatD said:
What he said previously is right. My clutch on my fiat was working perfectly fine until it got stuck in third gear. i tried everything possible, but when i checked out the gear box, the gears were rusted probably from sitting for a while. after some sanding down and tons a grease and oil, it couldnt shift any better.

This is unlikely to be the problem with mine, as it is (was) a daily driver.
It's not stuck in gear either, its a problem somewhere in the clutch.

Hi Boxer.

It was the two mixture screws inbetween the Carby throats, but if you have replaced the carby, then it isn't likely to be the same problem. I can get photos for you if that will help you.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for this Mike

Seems the only thing I haven't changed is the dizzy - I'll probably try that and see how it goes.
After that I'm at a bit of a loss.

Cheers
Davy

Back