Technical Engine Removal

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Removal

Eagle95

I searched previous posts on the subject of engine removal from an X19 and all referred to taking the engine out of the bottom. Is it possible to take the engine out of the top? I will not be puttng the engine back in as I am converting my X19 into electric drive, if that makes any difference.

The engine bay was not designed to have the engine hauled out of the top but if you were to remove the engine cover from the car and seperate the gearbox from the engine it should come out with relative ease.

You can take the gearbox out at the same time but it just takes more effort to guide everything out cleanly. It all really depends on what hardware you have for lifting.

Relatively speaking it is easier to lift the entire rear of the car via the bumper mounts and leave the engine on the floor than it is to do it the other way around.

O.K. Jimbro1000. Thanks for your input. I think I will do as you say and take it out the bottom. It just is a little bit counter to the way I am use to pulling an engine and I guess I have to readjust my thinking.

I stripped about everything one can take off of the engine and than dropped it out the bottom. Lifted the car up and pulled the engine out from underneath.

Remove the starter motor, disconnect the driveshafts from the diff (6 rather tricky allen head bolts on each shaft), unbolt the gearshift linkage and unbolt the clutch slave cylinder from the actuator arm and the casing (support it like you would a brake caliper for the same reasons), disconnect the arm that joins the gearbox to the exhaust then unbolt the gearbox from the engine block. It should basically fall off then unless the clutch has seized onto the flywheel (not unheard of). Make sure that it really is unbolted all around the bellhousing as some of those bolts can be hard to locate.

Back