General X1/9 Guides Section?

Currently reading:
General X1/9 Guides Section?

Neojames2k

Hiya everybody,

I hope that this tread isn't going to start another online argument as my last post did

Anyway, I was wondering why there is no X1/9 section in the guides part of the FF. I'm well aware that there maybe nobody who has written a guide for any mods or repairs, and that many of us have at least a small amount of mechanical knowledge or an haynes book of lies

I'm currently restoring/modifying my exxy and I'm quite willing to take a few photos as I go along so i can write guides

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to whom to contact to see if a section could be added?

Cheers
Neojames2k

Cool, Thanks

I'd better get on it then

This weekend will probably be "cheap ebay coilovers" :D

Did I mention I'm trying to restore on a budget?

If anyone has any ideas of what kinda guide they'd like, let me know, i've basically got a empty shell on the drive and it's all gotta go back on at some point

along with bike carbs, mega jolt, fiberglass front wings, brown wire and relay mods and a touchscreen carputer (although the carputer is already finished so i can't really take any step-by-step photos of that)

TBH i would just hold fire and let Ben get an X1/9 section set up
what i do is do the text in word and then copy/paste over
I'll give Ben a nudge as it shouldnt be much for him to add a X1/9 section

as for guides,the more the better
it cant be too simple as you always get folks with very little knowlege

Hiya popsprocket,

unfortunatly I have a 1500 engine, I have a feeling the covers are different between the 2 engines, i've attached a picture of the cover on mine

there are 4 bolts on it

2 at the top
1 in the middle in line with the engine mount
1 at the bottom which in this photo is hiding (you can see about 1/2 of it) in line with the crank pulley

the top ones are easy, as is the middle one I believe, the bottom one can be fun to get out, can't remember exactly but I think i took the rear wheel off and laid on the ground getting about 1/4 of a turn at a time with a spanner

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    617.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
On the subject of guides (having missed this post first time around), as author and owner of the X1/9 FAQ (as hosted on the X1/9OC website) I can post it all up here. I haven't updated it in about 10 years but I have all the content somewhere....

Or a better idea - I can put it all into a WIKI if someone has one hosted...

well here's 2 for starters, it's amazing what google can come up with ;) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_X1/9

http://x19.xwebforums.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

But surely the logical place (given that this is the FF) would be its very own FAQ section (next link along to the right of the guides) :idea:

Personally, i'd have a conscience about posting an article/feature i'd specifically wrote for another group/organisation and the input they or it's members potentially had at the time, but I guess you have to weigh up how much was your own content in the first place and what was/is in the public domain? Facts and figures are generally covered else where (the 2 wiki's for example) - is there a need to make yet another web source?

Last edited:
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, or take away form the personal touch of the forum and I agree with ics19 that having the same information in multiple places can be to some extent pointless, but with that said, how many times have you logged onto the forum to see "i can't open my engine cover/boot" or "engine won't start".

Would it not be a better idea to have the answers to these questions in either an FAQ or guide with a sticky at the top of the forum telling visitors to check those places before posting?

I will be writing my guides regardless as i will have the camera to hand when doing the work and will probably find it useful in the future if i ever need to fix anything. I just thought it would be handy for others to have access to this information

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the guides idea and the style of the https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-guides/ is about as good as it gets on the FF so worth a look for the way to go. They'll never be two people do a job the same way, either because of training, luck or just long arms :D so the varied info is well worth it.

Hiya popsprocket,

unfortunatly I have a 1500 engine, I have a feeling the covers are different between the 2 engines, i've attached a picture of the cover on mine

there are 4 bolts on it

2 at the top
1 in the middle in line with the engine mount
1 at the bottom which in this photo is hiding (you can see about 1/2 of it) in line with the crank pulley

the top ones are easy, as is the middle one I believe, the bottom one can be fun to get out, can't remember exactly but I think i took the rear wheel off and laid on the ground getting about 1/4 of a turn at a time with a spanner

I'm not nearly as hopeless as I made myself sound. I did eventually find all the bolts I just can't pull the cover out past the dizzy :rolleyes:

The bottom bolt was definitely interesting to get out and I don't want to think about putting it back my hand has only just recovered now from the scratches from reaching up into the engine from underneath.

As a side note - since it is coming up soon I'd be happy to do a guide for central locking if anyone is interested since electrics are something I can do (y)

That reminds me - I think I have another set of guides originally created about ten years ago on a variety of small projects (central locking included). I don't think they are quite complete as some of the pages were lost but it is mostly there. I'll see if I can dig those out as well.

Go for it guys (y) Anything project that you think someone might be able to benefit from your experience, write a guide. This forum is only as good as it's members, and it's information, so this is a step in the direction of making it better and more attractive to new members (y)

Just a bit of clarification:
*Guide- A process that you list step by step, with photos and instructions
*FAQ - Slightly different, just the same few questions that keep cropping up every now and then

Is there anything that you guys would like to see covered in the FAQ's? Now is the time to speak up, because I (with a lot of help from Jimbro ;) ) am writing them now.

Last edited:
I would be really interested in the central locking, I was thinking along the lines of a system that when unlocked drops the window slightly and when door closes and is locked window goes up again, I'm sure you all know why I want this feature! Yes go for it

I've just dug the files out and while it did have central locking in there it wasn't what I remembered - the project was for fitting a central locking motor to the boot not to the doors.

I've sent it all over to BluDvl for reformatting so with a little luck you should all have access to it soon.

Whoop, don't forget guys there's also a section for FAQs :D

Does put the pressure on me a little to start writing these things (since it was kinda my idea to add the section)

I'll get on with the coil overs this weekend and take lots and lots of pictures

Cheers guys

Whoop, don't forget guys there's also a section for FAQs :D

Does put the pressure on me a little to start writing these things (since it was kinda my idea to add the section)

I'll get on with the coil overs this weekend and take lots and lots of pictures

Cheers guys

only mods can post in the FAQ's :)

Back