Would you buy another Fiat and if so what would it be?

Currently reading:
Would you buy another Fiat and if so what would it be?

Weekly Poll: Would you buy another Fiat? Multiple answers allowed

• No, Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, if they built a car I liked

• Yes but I'd go Abarth

• Total voters
I have to admit I'm getting frustrated with fiat's current commitment to pandering to the EU's obsession with lowering CO2 emissions. They design great engines but no longer seem to want to get the best out of them and unless that changes I can't see my next daily being a fiat. I still hanker after a classic panda but as a weekend toy rather than a get me to work on time car (not that the punto's being doing much of that lately but let's not go there)

So, question(s) this week is would you buy another fiat and if yes what would it be? If no why not?

Tricky one. I voted Yes I'd by a second hand Fiat and "classic Fiat".

Only reason i said second hand though instead of classic being, there's a couple of cars they've made in the past 10 years i would have. But in reality, Fiat stopped being Fiat around 2000.

Their cars since then are just trying to be something they are not... German. There's very little natural flair or simplicity to their cars, Last Gen panda coves the simplicity part fairly well, that's around the sole exception of cars they released after 2000 that had one of Fiats core values as its main selling point. I like Grande multijet sporting's, cracking engines and fairly stylish to look at. Outside of that (without wishing to upset anybody... i'm very much "born in the wrong era" so have a different criteria to many car buyers), they just don't make anything that really appeals to me.

Current lineup is ****ing awful. All overpriced, bland and trying to move upmarket/be German... except the Germans do German cars better than anyone else, so what you're left with is basically an overpriced uninspired knock off built by Italians.

Models of the past decade... nothing ticks the boxes.

The Abarth's, don't get me wrong, are nice cars. But they don't fit my personal criteria of raw simplicity, lightness etc. They are too assist filled and too heavy to be true sporting cars.

The Stilo was the turning point, it was the car that Fiat first tried to be German with (but were too Italian to pull it off) :laugh:

They just don't have that flair anymore that brought us the coupe, the madness that brought us the Multipla, the quirkyness and perhaps over ambition that brought us the 5cyl 20v engine into the marea and bravo (and coop), or even the turbo lumps in the mk1 punto gt and uno turbo. There's not even any nod to their core value of making small, basic lightweight cars in the mould of the cinq, sei, panda, uno etc. A mix of safety regs and their insistence to go after the likes of VW along with everyone else has just lead them to being another boring car maker. Of which there are many.

And Fiat aren't even anywhere near top of that league, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Nissan, Honda, Volvo, Seat, Skoda etc all have better ranges.

Hell, I'd say even Kia are now well ahead of them these days... who saw that coming in the 90's when Fiat we're selling 150mph turbocharged coupes and Kia were budget makers rebadging late 80's Mazda 121's?

Evening all :)

I'm not going to say much as it'd be a Fiat bashing. I'd happily buy another Cinq/Sei as a toy/garage king or even an older Bravo but looking at the recent flock of Fiat's, I doubt al be buying one as a daily.

For me, Mark hits the nail on the head overpriced, bland and out of date. When was the last real new model? Excusing the extended 500 series, there hasn't really been any. Yes Fiat have always focused on small city cars, but there not that small anymore and most only have 4 seats, what good that in this day and age? The cinq was far smaller than a 500 and even it had 5 usable seats.

Anyway, enough from me, al go hide again

Oh dear, sounds like Fiat has their game plan completely wrong with regards to past customers. I agree with both of you in that they appear to have lost the sole traits that made them stand out.

Quirky, fun, and the occasional injection of crazy is out

In is bland, bland, bland

Unfortunately bland is what appears to be selling :(

According to Bloomberg News yesterday, Fiat are set to invest $12 Billion in "Made in Italy" luxury cars with upto 20 new models including 8 Alfa's by 2016. This includes the end of the Punto, but the further extension of the 500 and Panda ranges. How well this will translate into desirable cars next year we'll have to see.

I still have a wee snoop around the bay now an again for cinqs/sei's/bravo hgt's but there ain't a great deal going.

One of the new potential models is the 500X that has been reported before, latest rendering

Fiat-500X-render.jpg

richard33dees said:
According to Bloomberg News yesterday, Fiat are set to invest $12 Billion in "Made in Italy" luxury cars with upto 20 new models including 8 Alfa's by 2016. This includes the end of the Punto, but the further extension of the 500 and Panda ranges. How well this will translate into desirable cars next year we'll have to see.

And there lies the problem, luxury cars. Are they really that stupid? Have they learnt nothing? Luxury cars, It's not what Fiat do, what's with the push to go upmarket? Nobody is going to buy a Fiat E-Class or S-Class rival, they will never have the badge snobs onside. Their history has been about small, basic, flair and fun cars, not big serious execs!

Heading towards extinction in the next decade IMO.

Harper said:
Oh dear, sounds like Fiat has their game plan completely wrong with regards to past customers. I agree with both of you in that they appear to have lost the sole traits that made them stand out.

Quirky, fun, and the occasional injection of crazy is out

In is bland, bland, bland

Unfortunately bland is what appears to be selling :(

Except German bland is more sought after than italian bland, so they can't even do that right :laugh:

Mrcento said:
Except German bland is more sought after than italian bland, so they can't even do that right :laugh:

Oh I agree the German's do it best. It just depresses me that there doesn't appear to be a market for anything other than bland or fashion nowadays unless you go premium

I bought german when they were genuinely reliable and cheap to fix but when I last test-drove them they bored me rigid. If I'm going to spend an hour a day in a car I want a wee bit of fun on the commute at least

That 500X looks a bit Nissan like to me. Please let them not go there

Mrcento said:
And there lies the problem, luxury cars. Are they really that stupid? Have they learnt nothing? Luxury cars, It's not what Fiat do, what's with the push to go upmarket?

Exactly, if you're struggling to sell a cheap product, who in their right mind would buy a more expensive product from you?

Harper said:
I last test-drove them they bored me rigid. If I'm going to spend an hour a day in a car I want a wee bit of fun on the commute at least

That 500X looks a bit Nissan like to me. Please let them not go there

Agreed, I've tested the Audi A1 and have had our company A4 for meetings, 3hrs in the A4 and I could barely walk and it's usually an 8hr journey :( plenty Costas to keep me going though lol

Yes a bit like a Qashqai, I do like them myself and starting to like the Puke Nismo

Must admit I wouldnt touch a recent fiat, with the exception of a 100hp. But thats too impractical a car for my needs right now. I am considering buying new next year and the only thing I know 100% is that it wont be a Fiat.

Back