Technical Wing indicator lens

Currently reading:
Technical Wing indicator lens

Redskye

Hi all

Got a 2004 JTD Multiwagon and due to the orange layer flaking on the wing indicator bulbs I’ve removed and changed for new.

The question is that although all went fine on the passenger side, when I removed the drivers side lens unit there’s what seem like a plastic reservoir pressing against the bulb holder and it doesn’t want to click back in place.
Trying to push the lens unit back in place has resulted in some water dripping from the bottom of the wing.

There’s nowt behind the bulb holder the other side, and I can’t fathom out what it’d be on the drivers side.
I’ve had it for 14years and don’t remember this when bulbs were changed before – although that’s a good while back & I’m not getting any younger myself so the memories vague :)

Before I try and strip of the inner wheel arch liner does anyone have any ideas or links to pics of the wing interior, is there supposed to be a water sack or any plastic lining in the wing, or maybe a plastic lining on the wing that should have been removed (no evidence of car being pranged and new wing fitted) ?

Quick Update:

Today I stripped off the wheel arch liner and had a look.

Behind the lens unit was a (originally sealed) plastic bag containing a piece of shaped foam.

It looks to have been in the wing somewhere above the lens unit, there was a slit in the plastic that had allowed water to leak in and build up, it then must have slid down and got wedged behind the lens up against the wiring. Wing etc looks original so don't think it's been exposed in there since the day it left the factory.

Removed bag and cleaned all up in wing and liner and refitted holder with new bulb, but for the life of me I can't fathom out why it was in there in the first place though :confused:

Last edited:
Cheers Davren - (y)Top Man

Have removed liner from other side and see they go right up in corner.

Just got to get the one dried now and use the wife's veggie sealer when she's not looking ;)

Good job I took the passenger side off as well to have a look, I've found the wiring harness at the lower rear of the battery box between it and the liner has had the fabric tape rubbed off and all wires exposed - so a bit of tidying up needed there.

I've found various bits of foam in my wings over the years... It's quite interesting trying to work out where they've come from.

Meanwhile, I hope you also flushed out the silt trap at the base of the wings. It's the collected run-off of water than gets between the windscreen glass and the A-pillar... runs down the wing and through the gap between wing and body.... except when it builds up enough grit/dust dirt to just create a sludge in there. I try to clean mine out at least once a year.

Ralf S.

Hi Ralf S

Indeed found the drivers side pretty gunged up and duly cleaned - passenger side is as clean as whistle.

Hopefully will keep it running for a few more years to come yet. It's been a pretty reliable motor and the issues it's got I can live with:
No Aircon - stopped working just before a Summer trip to Austria where it was in the high 30's
Rear Door microswitch u/s - only opens on fob
Exterior temp sensor has mind of it's own - usually complaining it's bl**dy cold !
High level brake light intermit- needs a good tap and it works again

Back