Windows 7 Phones

Currently reading:
Windows 7 Phones

Kelvin W

Kelvin W
Members please: be aware that after installing the latest up-date from Microsoft my Samsung Omnia windows 7 phone lost the text reading capability.

To restore this I had to resort to the previous version which is available through the Zoon software facility (lost the cut and paste function now but at least my text readers back)
Very Best Regards Kelvin

Thanks for letting us know. I'm still waiting for preNodo update (T-Mobile branded Omnia 7). I wonder why there is this gamble every time a new phone update is out (not just WP7 but all other platforms).

Just an update on this. I updated my Omina 7 yesterday with the latest .7392 build. In the morning, I sent myself a message, and Blue&Me message reader worked nicely. I don't know what might be the problem with your phone. What are the version numbers of your phone?

Hi Mate
Thanks for the update, very interesting that my OS version is 70.7008.0 and firmware revision number 0222.10.9.13
Any assistance would be fantastic as I really would like to install any updates without losing the text reader provision. I have Orange business account and full insurance so if it is the phone they can replace it my friend.
I did have trouble installing the update come to think of it, crashed about 2 or 3 times before eventually accepting the update wonder if this was the problem? Also I have to use the Zune site to go back to previous version as the text reader fails/loses the received new text facility until I reinstall the previous version but it does allow me to visit last message received and listen to them???
Thanks again for the information
Very Best Regards Kelvin

Ok, that's not the final update you received. It's the preNodo update. According to this, Orange UK Omnia owners will receive the Nodo (7392 update) shortly, in the coming weeks. I'm sure once you receive the final update, the text reading feature will be back. Also, messages deleted from your phone, but not from Blue&Me, can be opened anytime (until you delete it from Blue&Me).

BTW my firmware revision number is 2424.11.2.3. The latest Nodo update also updated all of the version numbers. I think Orange will also include firmware and radio updates in the 7392 update.

Hey Kelvin,

Just to chip in here. I've got an Omnia 7 on Virgin Mobile with all the latest updates (OS: 7392) and the message reader still doesn't work (doesn't know or recognise there is a text).

So not sure why GXbox has a working one.

Might try to pair the phone with the car again (wiping everything on the car before hand). But I think I tried this after it didn't work the first time.

I've sent Fiat an e-mail about it and they say it's been passed on to the relevant department but that might just be a generic response.

Either way it's immensly frustrating.

For the sake of completeness I've installed the System Information app on the phone and it gives me the following info:

.NET CLR: 3.7.10302.0
Firmware: 2424.10.12.3
Hardware: 3.15.0.4

GXbox, have you updated the firmware or is that how the phone came?

That's weird. My Omnia 7's firmware was updated automaticaly with the 7392 update. My text reader still works (tested it in the morning when I got about 4 messages), but I only get a notification from Blue&Me if the phone is connected to Blue&Me (I was told, this is the way it should work). I have no idea why yours doesn't work. Maybe Virgin Mobile has changed something in the firmware, that causes the problem. BTW, you can get all those version numbers by going into Settings>About>More info.

Thanks for the reply GXbox.

Hmm, odd. Don't think Virgin Mobile will have done anything (don't think they are big enough to bother! - The phone isn't even branded by them) and it maybe that my firmware was updated during the update (not sure).

I know some Omnia 7s needed a firmware update from Samsung before they could get the NoDo update but mine never had any issues.

Will try to re-pair it with the car later.

Perhaps Blue&Me needs a reset on the car.

Oh the joy of searching for the problem! :(

Hi mate
I've tried all the re-Pairing even pulled the fuse to clear any trace of old info but no joy with the text reader,and to top it all of the previous version option from Zune synchronization has been removed oh joy.I chose the phone for its complete compatibility with blue and me but thanks for all the info
Regards Kelvin

Hey Kevin,

Ok finally got around to some testing. And I have some good news... I hope.

First up I erased my sim of all contacts (this is long overdue really since it's still got old contacts from my first phone). I couldn't figure out how to do this on the WP7 so I put it into an old Sony Erricsson I had and erased it there.

Paired it and it made no difference. Still not text readout.

So I did a reset of my phone (Settings > About > Reset your phone).

Once all the programs had automatically synced up again and my contacts were all present and correct I paired it again and this time it worked!

Numbers are showing up as numbers rather than names but otherwise it's working just fine.

Hope this helps you too!

Just to wake up this topic... Yesterday, I used the built in Maps app - directions of my Samsung Omnia 7 to get to a place in Budapest, and to my surprise, all the voice guidances were spoken out loud through the speakers. I just had to turn up the volume on the phone (above 10), because the Blue&Me external volume wasn't loud enough.

That's cool. I didn't know it read out the directions! How did you get it to do that?

Now that I have the Mango update to WP7, it will let me reply to my texts via Blue&Me. Although it's a little weird because I now get two female voices talking. One for when I press the button the steering wheel (the Fiat voice), the other when texts come in and replying (the WP7 voice).

That's cool. I didn't know it read out the directions! How did you get it to do that?

I did nothing special. Just let your phone connect to Blue&Me, start the Maps app>directions, and the voice will go through nicely.

Now that I have the Mango update to WP7, it will let me reply to my texts via Blue&Me. Although it's a little weird because I now get two female voices talking. One for when I press the button the steering wheel (the Fiat voice), the other when texts come in and replying (the WP7 voice).

Yeah, I always wanted a threesome, but somehow I thought it's going to be a bit different, more special. ;)

Back