Why would anyone do this?

Currently reading:
Why would anyone do this?

I got a file and it appears to be packed with viruses.

Clearly visible, only a complete n00b would run them and a complete n00b probably would not have been able to get that far to obtain and open the flie in the first place.

Attachments

• packed_with_viruses.jpg
    packed_with_viruses.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 74
Not sure, again, I am not expert, but I expect if you can see them in that way, the damage had already started. I would also imagine that the other files may well have viruses bound in to them aswell.

*awaiting Trance to be logging on via his Win98SE partition any minute*

LMAO :p

No Paul, as far as I am aware WinRAR allows files to be viewed without running them, just like opening a folder.

A 'Compressed Executable' file might behave differently but files can still be viewed without execution in most cases.

Since I installed my new MOBO I've never had the need to log into the Win98se partition :p

Last edited:
Since they are exe's surely they would need executed before damage would arrive!

Just delete those other files scan the rest and use!

FWIW AVG will scan rar'd stuff without extracting first.

Liam

Since they are exe's surely they would need executed before damage would arrive!

Just delete those other files scan the rest and use!

FWIW AVG will scan rar'd stuff without extracting first.

Liam

That's what I am not sure about though, does AVG scan before displaying the files? I doubt you need to run all virus exes to do damage? Secondly, as I said, if there's viruses in the overall winrar file I would be worried that it has some bound in the actual files?

Well I deleted the folder anyway as I wasn't satisfied with the overall content, Choons were old and a wee bit commercial.

The only way I have seen bonded files before were back in the day where n00b virus makers would make a file which looked like this:

"sexygirl.jpg.exe"

As windows does not display file extensions by default, a n00b digital pr0n viewer would not realise that their file was displaying a file extension when it shouldn't have been.

Furthermore, In theory at least (I'm not testing on my machine) because windows reads files extensions and not file headers (like a MAC) if any of the MP3 files were originally .exe format, then because of the .mp3 extension, Windows would not run the file and no harm could come to the machine.

A "wrapped" file would need an appropriate program installed to run a virus contained within a valid MP3 format file.

Serious viruses are the ones which install themselve on your machine and then attempt to run once downloaded from whatever remote location. I've seen these a few times but BlackICE PC Defender notified me as soon as the unauthorised program attempted to do so.

.exe's within a compressed file are as harmful as the n00b using the computer.

When I played with basic 'hacking', the client software could bind itself onto many different files, completely hidden, not in a way like "xxx.jpg.exe".

Well I deleted the folder anyway as I wasn't satisfied with the overall content, Choons were old and a wee bit commercial.

The only way I have seen bonded files before were back in the day where n00b virus makers would make a file which looked like this:

"sexygirl.jpg.exe"

^^^^ You mean back in the day when n00bs would make these files as a Trojan not a virus using the name as sexygirl.jpg they dont always have to be exe files to do this, You can create these files with out the use of making them in to a exe file, You can bind a trojan or a virus to almost any file that there is out there, Alot of people from windows 98 generation will remember going to websites to have the virus scanner go nuts cause you viewed the wrong picture, But just like back then a virus or a trojan can still do the damamge with out you even knowing,

Virus scanning programes very rarly look for a trojan file unless its is some age old trojan, Keyloggers our never picked up, And the damamge is normaly done with in 2 seconds thats how long it takes to broadcast out of your firewall, router and hide its self from your virus scanner never mind the bad ones which just kill the things, Like errrm nortons, They most downloaded and retail shipped product, Firewall can be shut down with in seconds same as virus scanning software and nortons will not even tell you there is a problem.

Also AVG is able to scan with in rar files unless the files our rar with in the rar lol. So if some one rars the file with in the rar AVG will never notice it, Its hard to avoid any virus or trojan spyware greyware because all you have to do is connect your computer to the net and you have it.

And since half the population of the world has no idea what a firewall is never mind virus software. Does make for easy pickings of the lame 15 year old n00b sitting in his mothers basement making his little trojan virus file then sending it out to us all on the net.

Back