who "owns" the vehicle?

Currently reading:
who "owns" the vehicle?

My daughter is a Uni student. The car is kept here at home, and drives it only during the holidays.
Her car is registered in my name as I bought it of course. Is there any advantage in insurance terms in transferring the ownership of the vehicle to her, or does it make no difference?

Most insurance companies will only insure the registered keeper as the main driver. If that's part of their Ts & Cs and the car is actually registered to you and not her then that could be considered fronting.

As far as legally, it doesn't really matter who the V5 says the registered keeper is - as you have (presumably) proof of purchase you are still the official owner. It the same as people who buy their car on finance, they may be the registered keeper but until the agreement is settled the finance company owns the car.

I had a conversation with the insurance company and I explained who the main drivers are and who the rgistered owner is etc so that I wasn't running any risk of "fronting". They were quite happy with the situation. She can't be a main driver anyway as she is only here during holidays.

I had a conversation with the insurance company and I explained who the main drivers are and who the rgistered owner is etc so that I wasn't running any risk of "fronting". They were quite happy with the situation. She can't be a main driver anyway as she is only here during holidays.

As long as they're fully aware and happy with it then you'll be ok (y)

Back