Which Nikon Camera?

Currently reading:
Which Nikon Camera?

I'm looking at buying a high quality Digi SLR

Im keen on either the D50 or D60 Nikon but i've noticed the D50 can be picked up in new condition on ebay for about £150 where as the D60 can be £300+. Is there that much difference between them?.

can get a D70/D70s pretty cheap atm. might as well go for one of them rather than the D50, ive had mine for about 5 years now and im gonna get a D200 when i actually have some money :D

i wouldn't bother going with a d200.

chris, how much money do you want to spend. since the d50, there has been the d40, d40x, d60, and d90.

i use a d50, have had it a few years now and still think it is a very capable camera. but if were in the market to buy a new one, am not sure i'd get a d50. i'd get something newer.

One of the strengths of Nikon is compatibility. I have a FE and F3 film cameras with 28mm, 50mm, 135mm and 200mm and a 600mm Cat lens. When I finally replace the old steam driven bodies I'm probably going to get a D80. I think I'm right in saying that the screen of the D60 is only for functions and settings and not a form of viewfinder, which I've now got used to with my Lumix "Bridge" camera.

I will be choosing, probably, the D80 because of this screen, but any of the Nikons will do as I can still use all my old lenses. I'm led to believe that using these old lenses will actually give a "step up" of 1.5. In other words, the 50 will become a 75, the 135 a 270, the 200 a 300 and the 600 a 900mm.

The only other thing that's come to my attention is that too many people fixate on the number of MPs. I can't remember which model it was now, but only a couple of years ago the main Nikon used for all types of sports photography only had 6MPs and yet was used by most pro-sports snappers.

Ive just bought a D60 as an upgrade from D40x , seems great, got some nice features on it. If youre going to get one, get it soon, nikons prices are going up 40% due to exchange rates etc.

i use a f100 and a d100, excellent pieces of equipment,was really into photography, had them a few years now and don't seem to use them very much these days, for the quality that the new mobile phones camera can achieve that seems to do me for now as i always have it with me,
except for the occasional wedding that i get asked to do.

Back