Ducato wheel size

Currently reading:
Ducato wheel size

Robin wyer

Hi have a 2017 ducato made into a camper van its got 215/70r15 tyres and wheels on in the book it say this modal can have
215/70r15 wheels or 215/75 r16 wheels on it the 15inch wheels look too small and it would look better with 16inch wheels on
is it going to alter speedo a lot many thanks Robin.

Hi have a 2017 ducato made into a camper van its got 215/70r15 tyres and wheels on in the book it say this modal can have
215/70r15 wheels or 215/75 r16 wheels on it the 15inch wheels look too small and it would look better with 16inch wheels on
is it going to alter speedo a lot many thanks Robin.
Often you can fit larger wheels with lower profile tyres and still keep the rolling circumference so not altering the speedo.
So in your case it may be possible to fit 16 inch wheels but with 60 or 65 profile tyres.
One small point some insurance companies if not notified may try to avoid a claim re any alteration to original spec.
There are websites that give you all the details about how each change will affect the vehicle, also as to if it is even advisable.

My particular motorhome on the X290/X250 Light Chassis could be supplied as new with either Fiat 15" wheels fitted with 215/70 R15 CP tyres or Fiat 16" wheels fitted with 225/75R16 CP tyres. The tyres are either continental or Michelin. I was assured by Fiat that no alterations were made to any settings or components in the event that either type were chosen. These two combinations must make up well over 99% of all Ducato based motorhomes as far as I can tell..
I have had three Ducatos fitted with the 15" setup and the speedo always read about 10% above the actual speed. On the two that I have had fitted with the 16" setup the speedos have indicated the actual speed.

Can you check your current speedometer against a sat nav and/or roadside speed display?
Then it would give you an idea how accurate it would be with the bigger wheels.

My particular motorhome on the X290/X250 Light Chassis could be supplied as new with either Fiat 15" wheels fitted with 215/70 R15 CP tyres or Fiat 16" wheels fitted with 225/75R16 CP tyres. The tyres are either continental or Michelin. I was assured by Fiat that no alterations were made to any settings or components in the event that either type were chosen. These two combinations must make up well over 99% of all Ducato based motorhomes as far as I can tell..
I have had three Ducatos fitted with the 15" setup and the speedo always read about 10% above the actual speed. On the two that I have had fitted with the 16" setup the speedos have indicated the actual speed.
This all spot on info. the only thing i would add is the light chassis is on a PCD of 118 the heavy is PCD 130. So if wanting to upgrade to 16" from 15" remember the 16s come in 2 options and many selling 2nd hand haven't got a clue what they have. (well the 1st 3 i asked didnt.)
One other advantage of going to 16" is there is a much wider selection of tyres especially winter or higher load.
Ive been concidering for a while that when i needed new tyres i would go upto 16 and up a load rating for further possible uplating (already at 3850 and since added rear air assist). But where to get rims? Any experience out there?

Last edited:
Back