General What to do with my '77 124?

Currently reading:
General What to do with my '77 124?

MikeInCanada

Hi all,

New here and I apologize for the potentially silly question. I bought a '77 Spider when in my early 20's, drove it for 4 years and parked it. Fast forward 20 years. The car is sitting in a garage and hasn't been run in 20 years. Body needs work, tires are flat, I'm assuming brakes and all moving parts probably seized by now. Engine, it ran fine 20 years ago? I explored having it restored but am probably looking at $10,000 to $15,000 in order to do this. I have seen similar models that look to be in good shape for sale anywhere from $6,000 up to $20,000. So, the question is do I forget any sentimental value it has to me and junk it or sell it for parts (any idea what I could get for it?) and then buy another one for $10,000 or less. Or do I get it restored?

What makes most sense? any and all feedback will be appreciated even if you want to call me an idiot for forgetting about it for 20 years.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi all,

New here and I apologize for the potentially silly question. I bought a '77 Spider when in my early 20's, drove it for 4 years and parked it. Fast forward 20 years. The car is sitting in a garage and hasn't been run in 20 years. Body needs work, tires are flat, I'm assuming brakes and all moving parts probably seized by now. Engine, it ran fine 20 years ago? I explored having it restored but am probably looking at $10,000 to $15,000 in order to do this. I have seen similar models that look to be in good shape for sale anywhere from $6,000 up to $20,000. So, the question is do I forget any sentimental value it has to me and junk it or sell it for parts (any idea what I could get for it?) and then buy another one for $10,000 or less. Or do I get it restored?

What makes most sense? any and all feedback will be appreciated even if you want to call me an idiot for forgetting about it for 20 years.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I'd get it restored. (y)

You know the car & presumably do have a sentimental attachment to it. Rather than buying an unknown quantity & probably regretting selling your old one, you might as well spend the money doing yours up. Even with the costs you've mentioned, you're still under the ceiling price by the sound of it, so you also won't feel like you've spent too much.

I think you'll regret taking the easy route & buying one already done.

Mike,

I just bought my '79 Spider.:woot: It needs an enormous amount of work but it does run.

As it is a project car, I plan on doing a frame -off total restore, doing most of the work myself; less the painting.

I would recommend you do the same. That is if you have ANY mechanical skills and some tools. Might take you two years more or less. Depending on your dedication.

These things are not much more complicated than a detailed, plastic, model car kit.

Winters in Canada are like ours in Minnesota, they can get long and boring, so a project can save your sanity and a few bucks.

:idea:Look around for any car clubs in your area and join. You can get a lot of help and maybe a place to do the work. Many of the members have finished their projects and are itching to help someone else.

But if your just a "driver" deep pockets WILL be the name-of-the-game.:D

Stumpy J

[
I hope you decided to restore your Fiat Mike. I'm a new member, and I would be interested in your follow-up with details of your decision. Good luck whichever way you decided.

Mike.[/QUOTE]

Hi, if there is a lot of sentimental value, like you dated your wife in it, like one of them that I have, then I would restore it. If that is not the case then I would purchase a newer one with fuel injection. I own both, a 1977 that I bought used in 1979, and an 82 Turbo. I can say that the fuel injection models are a lot quicker and smoother, particularly when cold.

Back