what subs to get??-poll.

Currently reading:
what subs to get??-poll.

what subs to get??

• Total voters
i have a 12 inch 1200watt sony xplod sub in my boot and it kicks ass ive got it running on a 800 watt jetsound amp. the sub was £35 and the box was £20
there not the best make in the world but there good for the price ;)

I would say ditch the "subs" bit and get one good "sub" as the best stereo set up I have ever heard was an American guy back in Glasgow who does all these show cars and his own car is an old Mark 2 Granada which has a very simple but very very effective system comprising component speakers front and back and a single sub built into the boot all running off some trick 6 channel amp with two channels bridged to the amp. The sound was just Crystal clear yet could also achieve something crazy like 140odd decibels or something (can't actually remember how they measure sound off again) but the reason he did this was because he had won many many events in the States with this simple set up in the purity contests rather than out right punch, but then in such an enclosed space you would never get his system by about a 1/4 of the available volume.

Wish I could remember his name as he had a great web site?

A little of topic, but remember quantity does not equal quality when it comes to stereos!

Aaron

Its been said already quality is better than quantity! But also depends if your going to change your speakers in your car aswell?! JL sub's are quite good; audiobahn are better, it just depend on the £££! also depending on what type of bass your looking for a deep bass/punchy/soft and what style/type of music you listen to most to which sub would suit you! Also size works in this perspective; as say a 15" is better for deep bass and slower songs; like your rap and hip hop; as were an 8" is good for faster beats like this happy hardcore type of thing and is soft and is heard and not felt like the 15" will be vibrating your car!

Depending on the delivery of RMS you want from your sub will depend on the power source replenishing your amp, maybe change your battery for a heavy duty battery, or power cap - farad depending on size of system again (just a thought!)

The type of box makes a difference, either - ported and enclosed and the size of the box in respect to the size of the sub! Best to check manufactors website for these! NB: some shops just tend to put them in like the first say 12" box the come across the 12" sub; which ent alwasy the correct size and can affect performance!

Ive now got 2x 12" kicker square sub's and they are the best sub's ive had! and they arent that expensive, you can pick then up for about £199 each with a box now! Maybe a brand to consider?! Also ive had before these a rochford fosgate 12" sub; which cost £350 but didnt sound as good!!

Go have a listen in your local ice shop if you have 1?! And see if that helps your decision?!

1.8Stilo said:
JL sub's are quite good; audiobahn are better, it just depend on the £££!

Agree with everything you have said except this....

All JL subs I have heard are better than Audiobahn for instance the lower range WL0 would Kick Audiobahn to the next country let alone the top of the range WL7's! :p

Last edited:
if i could have any set up in the world, regardless of money i would run 2 12" JL w3's each with their own 700watt mono alpine amp, and run that off a seperate battery connected to a hardcore uprated alternator, then run infinity 17cm in rear an 10cm in front off a 4x50watt kenwood head unit!

now that would hit.... very very hard! BOOM

p.s wat u think of the new avatar? hehehe

Last edited:
I'd go with what you can afford (y)

I've got 2x12" SPLX in Chastity at the mo (cos that was all we could afford at the time) and they sound realy good, even suprised a few judges in sound comps ;)

But now we got more money we are changing for better ones :D

I would say it depends a lot on what the rest of your system is. I wouldn't even bother getting a sub before upgrading the rest of the system depending on the spec of what's already there, because the sound will be too heavily shifted towards the lower frequencies. If you are already happy with the rest of your system, sound testing is the best bet, the only problem being that you need to do the sound test with a system that is as near as possible to what you already have. One sub may sound great with one system, but not so good with another, the various parts of the system need to complement eachother. The other problem is that the acoustics of the car and the positions of the speakers will also affect sound quality and performance, so what sounds good in a listening room will not necessarily sound good in your car. Position of the sub is irrelevant because very low frequency sound is not affected by directional output in the way that higher frequncies are, but the position of your other speakers will affect how well the sub works with them. The other thing to consider is the frequency range of the existing speakers, if they go quite low anyway you would do best to avoid to much frequency crossover, because it will detract from the clarity. Ideally get an active sub or at least an amp with a specific sub channel which will alleviate too many higher frequency signals being sent to the amp. Make sure you use a good quality subwoofer cable, as you will not get the best out of the sub with crappy cabling. Power source is also important, upgrade the battery and alternator for best performance. Mounting of the sub is also very important, do not mount it directly to the boot without some form of damping, preferably using material that absorbs resonance.

On the other hand, if you are not an audio purist, just go for the loudest kickass, bassiast setup you can find.

Last edited:
Back