General What looks like a 500 but is neither a 500 nor a 500?

Currently reading:
General What looks like a 500 but is neither a 500 nor a 500?

I like the concept, but only a 47 mile range!!!

I think the 28 MPH top speed would put more people off. Looking on YouTube, it was designed with the 15 BHP of a heavy quadricycle and would do 50 MPH if derestricted. It is limited to 8 BHP and 28 MPH so it can be sold as a light quadricycle. Most companies do both. The Renault Twizzy is available in both versions, though they only bring the 'faster' one to the UK. From what I hear, it's the chassis dynamics that let it down, so they only sell the restricted one.

Like the Citroen Ami, it’s a toy for (in Italy) teenagers…unfortunately they’re all at it, before long there’ll be melted plastic lookielikee cars for each segment

I think the 28 MPH top speed would put more people off. Looking on YouTube, it was designed with the 15 BHP of a heavy quadricycle and would do 50 MPH if derestricted. It is limited to 8 BHP and 28 MPH so it can be sold as a light quadricycle. Most companies do both. The Renault Twizzy is available in both versions, though they only bring the 'faster' one to the UK. From what I hear, it's the chassis dynamics that let it down, so they only sell the restricted one.
In both respects its the capacity of the battery that let's it down....it looks pretty good to me.

If you only use them as a runaround in the town or city then the range would be manageable. Plus public chargers are springing up everywhere, so within a city then you'd probably charge it by the time you've had a coffee or gone to the shops. You dont need mega power for a small city car.

A large chunk of the UK population live in more rural areas, where limited range is the problem. And most smaller towns centres are dying or dead, meaning that you do need to travel to better shopping areas.

@vexorg
Exactly the issue here and, invariably, the few chargers there are always occupied
Public transport is a joke.
That 47 mile range is exactly the same as our Hisun Worker (like an electric Deere Gator) if we go to the farm feeds store, exactly 4.2m away, it will use half its alleged range as it’s not exactly flat round here, and that’s with no load on. That’s if we use half eco (eco/med/low range) if we used eco it limits us to 15mph, imagine the tailbacks!
That Ami/Topolino would be good in a flat city, not Durham or Edinburgh. The Citroen dealer round here has sold two, I’ve not seen one actually driving, but I have seen one charging in Skippo

They might be getting more honest, a friend bought an e-up as a second car, and the range has been pretty accurate to the expected display miles and distance travelled.

They might be getting more honest, a friend bought an e-up as a second car, and the range has been pretty accurate to the expected display miles and distance travelled.
Honesty has not been any of the manufacturers strongpoints of late, diesel springs to mind and, certainly in the US, Toyota is still recalling cars for ‘known but not acknowledged’ electronics faults.
Not that I’ll be buying anything else for a while, unless, that is, you lot all chip in and buy me that 131 Abarth that’s currently for sale, it’s only £250k

Honesty has not been any of the manufacturers strongpoints of late, diesel springs to mind and, certainly in the US

Miles per kWhr and MPG are both regulated by law. Manufacturers cannot do their own tests or claim their own figures. They have to do the standard tests and quote them. They have been known to cheat of course, but even then they cheat the standard tests.

When EVs were new a decade ago, the manufacturers quoted the WLTP range figures but quite boldly said that their cars wouldn't achieve them in typical usage. The official range figure was 150 miles. Mine averaged 80 to 90. Once I got 100. If it was below zero day and night it would do 70. Renault was quite up front about this, mostly because people would notice in week one. There was no point in pushing the official figure.

Back