General What a Fiat Uno can do...

Currently reading:
General What a Fiat Uno can do...

Afrika Corpse

For those who may still be around from the end of 2006\beginning 2007 and wondered what happened with us, please see: www.afrika-corpse.com (or .co.uk).
For those who don't know, in 2006 we bought a Fiat Uno for £122 (from a Fiat Forum member) with the intention of driving over 4000 miles to Bamako, the Capital of Mali in Africa, as part of the "Bamako Run" 2007 Charity Rally. To see how it went please take a look at the above website - our story is in the Diary section...

Enjoy!

Afrika Corpse

Bloody hell you were brave buying one of Beau's sheds, did you know it was an infamous Beau heap when you bought it? Surely you can't have done.....

Been reading through the diary and sounds like quite an adventure, are you planning anymore trips?

I see in the gallary you tieing some springs together with cable ties, was that to keep them compressed when fitting, then cut the cable ties when in place?

Heh, heh, heh, oh yes, the springs. We found a wrecked Ford Mondeo on it's roof in a breakers yard and took the rear springs off of it. Then we jacked our Uno up and removed the rear springs. The Mondeo springs fit perfectly only they were a little too long so we had to cut a ring and a half off of each one. That gave us a lift of about 4". We couldn't find another Mondeo to get more springs for the front so we ended up adding the old rear springs alongside the existing front ones. This also gave us about 4" of lift. The cable ties were originally used to hold them together during fitting but we never bothered to remove them. In fact, only 1 cable tie broke during the journey when the front right springs came partially out of alingment during a particularly bumpy drive through the Sahara. Cable ties are magic!
If you're wondering why we needed 4" of lift, bear in mind there were 3 big guys in the car, with all our stuff, our spare parts (including 4 wheels with tyres!), tools, food, spare fuel (60 litres) and water over extremely rough terrain, including soft sand, so we needed as much lift as possible. Even with the 4" lift we grounded out every so often.
The bumpers were cut back for the same reason.
I know Beau had previously had a lot of problems with the car but the only thing wrong with it when we got it, was a flat tyre, a dead battery and a blown fuse.
If you haven't read the diary, we did also have the head gasket blow on us 60km into Morocco but Morocco is FULL of Fiat Unos (they use them as taxis!) so it only took 1 day and about 70 quid for a local mechanic to fix it.

I have no plans for future trips (I have a young family) but my colleagues were so bitten that they've brought a Land Cruiser with the intention of touring Africa for a year and then South America for another year (NOW THAT IS MAD!) :)
I know the web site doesn't have a lot of pictures so I'll get some more put up and let you know when they are there - when finished with all the stickers, etc... she looked the business!

Last edited:
sweet!! sounds like a hell of an adventure! maybe post this in the leisure lounge as you'll get more interest :cool:

long distance rallying in nasty crpbox's is mint isn't it :cool:

although I'm peeved at bomont for selling you such a mucked up uno for that amount of money! for only £10 LESS you could have had a tax/tested volvo estate with a/c heated seats and everything :cool:

what was the name of the rally you did? plymouth dakar, and then you added some different routes on? or just a bunch of loosely associated mates?

although I'm peeved at bomont for selling you such a mucked up uno for that amount of money! for only £10 LESS you could have had a tax/tested volvo estate with a/c heated seats and everything :cool:

Yes, but some of the rallies (such as the Mongol Rally) only allow cars of 1.0 or below, hence Beau's Uno was a perfect candidate ;)

It was a new Rally called "The Bamako Run", set up by a guy who wanted to do the Paris-Dakar but couldn't afford it so he started his own one from Plymouth to Dakar (though it then changed to go to Banjul). he had so much interest that he had to start another one, hence The Bamako Run.
If you think about it, it's tougher that Paris-Dakar. The cars are all about £100 and there is no suport, other than from other teams that you may hitch up with. Our group of 5 cars lost 2 on the way (a Ford Maverick and a Suzuki SJ410) and the Fiat Panda 4x4 that was with us died shortly after the rally finished (the front suspension collapsed and a wheel and entire suspension turret were ripped from the car, followed by the front axle!). Only a Land Rover and our Uno survived. (I swear that the Land Rover was indestructable)
Originally, we entered the rally to Banjul for which an LHD is mandatory, but we got switched to the Bamako Run (which turned out to be much better) which doesn't require a left hooker - but we already had our car by then.

Back