Technical Weekend knocking

Currently reading:
Technical Weekend knocking

madrat

Hi, I need a bit of help.

My 1999 Marea 105JTD has developed a knocking from underneath on rough roads, it sounded to me just the same as when the anti roll bushes needed renewing last year. Anyway the garage said it was the rear sub frame mounting bushes and not to worry about it as its not an MOT point and is a big and expensive job to renew them, but I'm still not convinced, it sounds like its coming from the front not the rear. Is there anything else it could be?

I think they did this as they have told me the front O/S shock is leaking, but this is not the cause of the noise.(anyone know a cheep suppler?)

I think I'm going to have to get the wife to drive along while I have my ear planted to the boot floor :D

Easy fix... drive over a judderbar or speedhump (not sure what they are called in the uk) when the front suspension goes over the hump it will make a noise if front. Ditto with the rear suspension.
My guess is the droplinks on the front suspension.

I had an almost continous knocking on even the slightest of bumps and it sounded like it was coming from front wheels. It was mainly when the wheel drops down a hole, not when it goes up.

I changed everything and it did turn out to be the front drop-links.
Cost me £35 for the pair (2.4jtd) and took me 2 hours to fit as my old ones had rounded off allen key holes.

I would get a pair of molegrips on one side, there is a small flat bit you can grip onto, and undo the nut on the other side. Also you will need to have 2 jacks (1x axel stand), one to jack the car up and one to jack the suspension up to get the old drop link out.

Darren

Easy fix... drive over a judderbar or speedhump (not sure what they are called in the uk) when the front suspension goes over the hump it will make a noise if front. Ditto with the rear suspension.
My guess is the droplinks on the front suspension.

Defiantly sound like the front.

I had an almost continous knocking on even the slightest of bumps and it sounded like it was coming from front wheels. It was mainly when the wheel drops down a hole, not when it goes up.

I changed everything and it did turn out to be the front drop-links.
Cost me £35 for the pair (2.4jtd) and took me 2 hours to fit as my old ones had rounded off allen key holes.

I would get a pair of molegrips on one side, there is a small flat bit you can grip onto, and undo the nut on the other side. Also you will need to have 2 jacks (1x axel stand), one to jack the car up and one to jack the suspension up to get the old drop link out.

I think I will remove both drop links and road test.

Thanks for the help

:woot:

Now the rain has stopped I managed to get out and disconnect both drop links, tied up the anti roll bar and went for a test drive.

(y) Not a single knock.

So 2 new drop links and a new shock absorber (O/S is leaking and MOT next month) £75 from Euro car parts. :slayer:

Very happy.

that's good news.....but what ever you do, replace the shocks as a pair. Dangerous not to with regards to handling.

I know your supposed to but I have seen many cars with just 1 replaced and there is no noticeable difference.

Well my parts arrived yesterday so today was spent fitting them.

I must say my spring compresses arnt up to much, I remember the last time I used them on my Uno thinking this and today they weren't much good, they wouldn't compress the spring enough. So after removing the centre nut and retrieving the top mounting from the other side of the garden I had to improvise on the refitting. After compressing 2 coils I wired them together with heavy gauge garden wire removed the compresses and repeated on the remaining coils. It worked but I wouldn't recommend it. Also not having a working vice meant chasing the strut around the patio :D

And why to car makers fit odd sized nuts and bolts??? a 17mm nut on a 15mm bolt :bang:

Anyway all refitted with 2 new drop links and not a knock to be hered. MOT next week so we shall see if there is anything else.

Back