General Want to make Panda go faster

Currently reading:
General Want to make Panda go faster

right i`m getting ready for the wave of posts after this one saying "that makes no differnece"

anyway

make sure its set up first to start with i.e timing mixture etc,
then go for a new air filter such as a k&n etc and get the carb mixture tweaked to suit it. You might want to run the ram air intake idea where you drill a whole in the bumper and run a pipe to the air intake so when the car is moving forward it forces the air into the carb. thats about it unless you want to try turbos NOz etc always
always wanted to drop my bike engine in there 130bhp woshhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi
I`m not sure but wouldn`t the 1108 fire engine from a cinq sporting fit but using the panda carb?
You could probably get one of those engines pretty cheaply of someone on this forum.
Cheers
Adrian

I think the answer to that is probably, yes, but...

you'd need to think about distributor drive, and fuel pump drive: both off the camshaft on a carburetted Panda.

To the best of my knowledge the Cinq will have electronic fuel pump (there maybe a blanking plate on the camshaft cover, there may even be a lobe on the cam for a mechanical pump - you'd have to check), and the ignition timing is possibly off a toothed wheel in front of the alternator drive belt pulley on the cranshaft (if it's like later Pandas), instead of the end of the camshaft.

You might get an 1108 with head problems for beans and transplant your 999 head onto it, as the bore is the same - the extra capacity is obtained by increasing the stroke by 7.1 mm, and that way you'd get the drive points you need. But I don't know for sure it will be Ok, and there are subtle differences in cam lift and timing, so who knows what power you'd get?

Your best bet might be from a UNO 60 of a certain age - that is a carbed "FIRE" engined one - not the really old 55/60s as that was a different engine.

Always drive it downhill..............

If you really want to drive fast, why did you choose the 4x4 ?.There aren't enough of them around for us enthusiasts, without 'racing-drivers' wrecking them.

However; if you want to go faster off-road.....that's different. Allways go for the K&N filter, but forget about drilling holes in your bumper. Take a hose from your air filter 'UPWARDS' as high as you dare, ensuring that a, it dosen't scoop in rain, muck and hot air and b, if it does, the results can be drained off before reaching the carb.

Fit M&S tyres...or pure off-roaders (75% +) if you are trailering the car.

Fit a re-usable, easy-clean, in-line fuel filter.

Obvious things like:- ensure that your timing is spot-on as well as tyre pressures, wheel-balance, etc.

Forget rubbish items like spoilers, etc., you are driving a house-brick !. However, as the owner of the 4x4, with a little practice, you can virtually outdrag almost anything for the first 100 feet..........and they are the one's that matter !

Enjoy your Panda !

Thanks guys for the feedback. I only want it to go a little faster as half the travel to work is motorway and the other half on back roads, (trying to pass halfwits only doing 28 mph on a 60mph road) :bang:
Mind you I think it is going to need a gearbox soon as 3rd gear syncro is starting to go. Does anyone know if it a specific box for the 4x4.

:)

jamie86 said:
Some nice wide wheels.... my mate put some 8inch wide wheels on his 4x4 until the police decided they didn't like them sticking out that much.lol

Hmmn, will wider tyres make the car faster?

Nope - well ignoring the old chestnut of the better handling argument. For marginally better straight line speed, narrow tyres is the way to go.

But try tyres with a smaller diameter, as then the speedo will over read - gives the impression of going much faster. Get them small enough, and that 28MPH will appear like 60 to you too!

MARTINY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............good idea but,
When you are being overtaken by kiddie's tricycles and your speedo's reading 60...................?

K&N filter, Narrow tyre footprint (careful on corners), Correct carb setup, Very good exhaust (as straight as possible) and no external wind resistance..... with the possible exception of a low rear spoiler ( I know....I HATE spoilers, but...), this, if fitted correctly and at high speed, should create vorticies which will effectively 'push' the car forward an extra few mph.

There are lots of things that you could do to your car, but if you just look after it properly; it will look after you.

Panda's love 'em

Back